The Philosophy of a Happy Life | Teen Ink

The Philosophy of a Happy Life

When we are kids; we dream of being super heroes or princesses that live in huge castles with their beloved blue prince or beautiful damsel . We dream about topics and ideas that make us happy. As kids we dream in being successful in what we want to pursuit. Creating a new game or becoming a successful super star establishes our goals towards success. Success is the pillar that society built to “ensure” us that we have reached happiness. Being successful in our jobs means that we are happy in this world.

Kids are wishing of being happy and are not living it. As a teenager that is bound to societies expectations and in the boundary of becoming an adult I can see it constantly.  I’m dreaming of having a happy life by getting a good job and a stable family. I’m not acting upon it right know, I’m just picturing a life of happiness that is lacking. I see myself being happy by only accomplishing the superficial aspects of the essence that conforms my life. Having money, cars, and nice materialistic objects was the idea that I had in mind of what happiness looked like. I feel disillusioned about my self of being so oblivious and not figuring it out earlier.

We are being made like dolls by society. We are just toys that are made with a purpose and that are lead to the direction that interests the greater whole of humanity. It doesn’t matter what we are interested in ; we just have to complete our purpose. 

Some time ago I watched this TED talk in which a boy named Logan LaPlante explained his own version of happiness and how to get to it. He is just a little kid that has an opinion on a topic that no one questions.  He talks about how we are supposed to be learning how to be happy. How schools should base their whole system of education. We are living and growing with the expectation of happiness. But we don’t know what happiness really is because we were never taught to do what we love, we were taught to complete our task of being successful.

We should be prioritizing happiness. In education we are making the same type of people with the same abilities but we are not focusing on the specialization of each individuals satisfaction. I believe in what Logan Laplante says, “Education is important, but why is being happy and healthy not considered education”. Having a happy lifestyle comes down to practicing eight things. Exercise, diet and nutrition, time in nature, contribution, service to others, relationships, recreation, relaxation and stress management, and religious or spiritual involvement. 

I think it should be a pillar in our education system. Education is oriented for better or worse towards making a living rather than making a life. We are in this world to make a life that conforms us in personal and spiritual satisfaction.

As Logan said in his famous TED talk ” I want to be happy when I grow up “. I can connect with his theory. I also want to be happy when I grow up and I want to be taught and given all the tools. Our generation focuses more on producing, producing, producing and not about doing what we love just because. I want to be happy by making my life my own.