Why School is Better than Prison | Teen Ink

Why School is Better than Prison

June 9, 2015
By Macy.c BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Macy.c BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Many high school students at one point in their four years of torture wonder if prisoners get treated better than high schoolers. While it may seem that way, it’s actually true that students are treated better in a number of ways. High school can seem painful to go through but that’s only if someone chooses to make it painful on themselves. Not doing school work, missing class and never talking to the teacher can make life more difficult.


However, high schoolers don’t realize that teachers care about their students. First impressions are key to getting a better grade in a class, getting the teacher to “like” a certain student or overall having the teacher care more about you. “Our minds can handle around 40 bits of information a second,” says Nick Morgan. So with this, it’s easy to make a bad first impression. Without knowing it, everyone makes quick judgements on a person just by their facial expressions. Coming into class with a bad attitude can cause the teacher to assume that kid won’t like the class. By making a good first impression with your teacher, he or she will be more likely to help you on assignments and be more encouraging. Teachers don’t hate students, they may dislike a student’s work ethic but probably don’t hate them. In every class, there’s one student that sticks out the most and seems to be best friends with the teacher.

 

Many other students don’t realize that that student made a great impression. That student sat down, listened to the teacher, asked for help when needed, worked hard and talked to the teacher more than other students.
Thinking that prisoners don’t have to do as much as a student is wrong, just go and see how life in prison works. With many improvements in prison such as TV, snacks, libraries and the ability to get a degree, students think prison sounds better than high school right now but don’t realize they can do the exact same in a safer environment. The thing is, prison life has limited options. Students in high school can take college classes at a fraction of the cost of regular college classes. Taking challenging classes in high school increases the chance of getting a better job and makes a person more motivated. Students can choose their own classes that they like and this helps students strive for the career they want, which in turn, makes students motivated. Then students always have friends who can help on assignments if it’s needed, while in prison, this can be more difficult. Being able to talk to a teacher for help increases the chance of succeeding in that class, but in prison, many can’t ask for help.
Waking up around 6 or 7 is a privilege, so be thankful. Prisoners start their day at 4 in the morning and end around 5. Having 7 hours of school a day sounds better than working at prison for 12 hours. Many students in high school wake up at 6 or 7 depending on their daily routines and complain that waking up early is too hard. Most students don’t go to bed until 11 or later because they are on their phone. Teens have to realize that most jobs start at 8 or earlier and he or she will be working more than in high school.


It has been thought of that prison is better than high school, but in fact, it is not in many ways. Teachers care about their students like no one else and want to see him or her succeed. Being able to get help on assignments increases the chances of passing and having a friendly environment increases the chance of you having a better high school experience. Instead of complaining about how bad school is, think of how wonderful your friends are and that you have the ability to choose classes that you like.

 

Nick Morgan. "Why Do First Impressions Matter." Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 10 June 2014. Web. 03 June 2015. .
"Teens and Sleep." Sleep for Teenagers. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 June 2015.
"Frequently Asked Questions About Prison." Prison Fellowship Frequently Asked Questions About Prison Comments. Chuck Colson, n.d. Web. 25 May 2015.