Starfish: A Letter to the President | Teen Ink

Starfish: A Letter to the President

By vanillalover BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
vanillalover BRONZE, Roslyn, New York

Dear Mr. President,

As a young child, I aspired to become the president of the United States of America. Little did I know that being an immigrant would be a disadvantage to me. In a country that prides itself on offering bountiful opportunities to all who possess talent, not being able to even consider the option of running for president is agonizing. Telling a child what she can or cannot do should not be based on something that is out of her control, like where she was born. In the eyes of a fourteen-year-old who has been fortunate enough to mature in such a racially diverse environment, this law is racist and unnecessary. Not being born here does not make me feel special or unique like it should. Instead, it makes me an outsider; it makes me feel inferior to those who were born here -- my peers. Even my nine-year-old brother has it better than I do.

Her thick black hair is left down, blowing as she exits the plane. She looks down and sees me, a six-month-old baby. Anticipating this turning point in her life, she holds me tighter and leaves the terminal to enter the land of freedom and opportunity. You see this Indian women, wearing brand new jeans she bought especially for her voyage. You see the glint in her eye, and you wonder if her excitement was prevalent all throughout the fifteen-hour plane ride. You think to yourself a mother, with her arms full and her hopes high for the baby, is about to enter a country open to ALL.

Nope.

You would be wrong, as the country that is soon to engulf her isn't open to all… especially her baby. About thirteen years later, the country she entered and the ideals the country gave to her baby would soon prove to shut her baby out. The country that is open to all would not be open to her baby and many like her baby. If the principles on which America was founded were really being followed, the arms-full-and-hopes-high mother wouldn't have to sit back helplessly and watch America neglect her baby.

My name is Pranjal. I am fourteen years old and currently a freshman. I am a conscientious student, a diligent worker, and considerate friend. I am a girl scout working towards my gold project and an active member of  my girl scout troop. I am also a humanitarian: my silver project was about bullying, and I am PR for Women Warriors, a club in my school that focuses on issues concerning feminism. I firmly believe in exerting my voice to help others. Living in a “democratic” country really molded me and encouraged me to voice my opinions and my ideals.

America is a country for the people and ruled by the people. Here we can choose to be whoever we want to be, and do whatever we want to do. Living in an immigrant country forces us to be enclosed by a sea of cultures, each of us a part of the big ocean that is the country. Each fish lives harmoniously with each other, celebrating their similarities.  Amidst all the swarm of colorful fishes is a starfish. She has amazing abilities to regenerate and do things that other fish can’t do. However, she also has things that he can’t do -- things that other fish, her peers, can. She lies there, watching the other fish, yearning to swim around like them. The starfish feels impaired. She can’t do what the other fish can, and she can’t be like the other fish either. The starfish is me. While my peers have the option to exercise their political freedom, I don’t even have the comfort of the option.

As a citizen, when I think of someone whom I would want sitting in the Oval Office I think of someone with like Malala. Bold, courageous, just, and pure-hearted. She has become an icon of courage, and having a president like her would mean that the country would be in safe hands. What if the U.S does have an Americanized immigrant like Malala amidst the ocean, a starfish who has the ability to lead the country to prosperity but couldn't even if he/she wanted to? I think Americanized immigrants should be allowed to be president. The Los Angeles Times states that today our country’s foreign born population “is at an all-time high.” It’s about time that we include all of our population and amend the Constitution. The reason that “No person except a natural born citizen” (Article 2, Sect 2, Constitution) is allowed to be president was added to the  constitution is to eliminate the idea of a president with “non-american” ideals. This law was relevant in the 18th century, but today is no longer needed. To overcome this, I think there should be an age cutoff. The age cutoff would prevent a person who has grown up in another country and has an “influenced opinion” from governing the country in an “un-American” perspective.

Why do I have to be a natural born citizen to be president? It gives me sorrow that all Americanized immigrants, including future generations, can’t be president if we weren’t born here. I feel invisible. Like I don’t count among everyone who was born here. Isn’t discrimination something America is intolerant of? Your speeches of intolerance toward discrimination feel hypocritical to me. This country won’t let me attempt to run the country I am proud of, govern over the people I can relate to, and enjoy the celebrations that I have known as a baby. All because I wasn’t born here. If the principles America was founded on are really being followed, I wouldn’t feel ashamed to call myself American. One thing is for sure; if I ever did become president, I’d make sure to do everything possible so people wouldn’t feel worthless. Society already compares and judges enough. Now rules do, too.

I genuinely hope this situation gets addressed before it crushes the dreams of others. I hope that we use the gift our forefathers gave us and create amendments to amend the Constitution. I yearn for our country to be more lenient and welcoming to all potential presidential candidates. By doing so, we can be one step closer to making America a truly democratic country filled with citizens who live in the country with their heads held high and united.

Respectfully,

A Citizen Wanting Change.

References:

Zaldivar, Ricardo. "An Immigrant President? It Could Happen." Los Angeles Times.
     Los Angeles Times, 3 Oct. 2003. Web. 15 Dec. 2015.
     .

U.S. Constitution. Art. II, Sec. 2.

I am a strong believer in raising your voice if you want change. That belief inspired me to write this article. I hope to one day amend the constitution, and by writing about this topic, I hope to spread awareness. Many people don't consider this law to be a major one, but to people like me... it is.