The Power of Sacrifice, Courage and Liberty | Teen Ink

The Power of Sacrifice, Courage and Liberty

By ItsChuckyTime GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
ItsChuckyTime GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Memorial Day.

Memorial.

What exactly does Memorial define? Does it define sacrifice? Does it define courage? How about liberty? I believe all of these apply, but that word is misinterpreted by a lot of people. Memorial Day means so much more to me.

Sacrifice: The infamous, yet inevitable fate for success. The servicemen and women who carry out the act of sacrifice each and every day for our well-being. The reflection of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice will be forever engraved in the history of this country’s heart.

Courage: Men and women work 25 hours a day to keep our freedom intact. They trade sacrifice for our freedom in this magnificent nation. They will always stand up for what they believe in and will fight until the last drop of life falls from their hands.

Liberty: The reason the American citizens are able to make their own choices. The value of options, the creation of a new land built upon the intentions our founding fathers first devised during the bolting revolution of 1765. Liberty is a tale told by generations of men and women who labored at unattainable heights to amend the country that is now ours.

Every American has their own unique role to play in preparation of ages to come. Sacrifice comes with every successful unit. That is why the sacrifices we make every day go for the greater good, whether or not it may seem obvious.

Memorial Day is a day for remembrance of the ultimate sacrifice, and a reflection of what we must do to continue to uphold and innovate the true American Dream.

So, what does Memorial Day define? To me, it defines as reflecting on the sacrifices executed by the courageous servicemen to uphold liberty for me and for many.