Does Discrimination Still Exist in America Today? | Teen Ink

Does Discrimination Still Exist in America Today?

By Psquared GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York
Psquared GOLD, Poughkeepsie, New York

If you want it, Go get it, no matter what it is in the way or the sacrifice for it.

Is discrimination still shown in the United States of America today? America as itself has come a long way with discrimination as a whole entire country and the civilians that live within it individually. Discrimination was shown in the past in this country and still there today in many forms that are not recognized. They are hidden by humanity and is still being used in manipulative ways to discriminate without exposing themselves to other people. Discrimination is shown in the past, present, and future, it does things to our society. However there are things that we as people can do about it. Discrimination is still amongst America.

What does discrimination really mean? Discrimination is when people judge others and criticize them for whatever they are or do and are usually shown today to types of sex, age, and nationality, but this can be done to anyone for anything they do or did, such as religion and other things. Discrimination is when people hate each other instead love them. Many people when they do things they hate the person instead of hating what they did. When really we are supposed to hate the crime or whatever they did , but not hate them for what they did.

How was discrimination shown in the past? It was shown through many ways all over the world years ago but talking about America, there is a history behind of all that single name: America. How is it they we can call ourself as a country of liberty and have symbolic items when there is none shown in history and today. However, Jim Crows laws weren’t illegal until 1950’s and 1960’s. So when you do research deep enough you will find that these Jim Crow laws began in the 1880s legalizing segregation between black and whites. Doing the math, you will realize that this ranged for about 80 years of Jim Crows laws legal in America. Also George Washington even himself had slaves, he had 123 slaves in 1799 out of 318 slaves in Mount Vernon. So to put reason into effect in this critical thinking, George Washington had slaves as well and he was our “American leader”. Also another fact is that it took about 11 months for Lincoln's Proclamation to end slavery in the south but also did you know that Lincoln wasn’t looking for Slavery to end, he was looking for a way to win the civil war, but freeing slaves was never his intention because if it was he would've done so when had first got in office and that would be one of his main problem, a lot to consider! Not only this, but 200 years before that there was slavery in the USA being publicly allowed and with 15 presidents before Lincoln never decided and executed a plan to end it. So discrimination was in the USA before it was abolished but many leaders’ actions today which shaped America today was not to abolish slavery like the people wanted.

How is Discriminations still shown today? Many people feel they are treated the way they are because of discrimination when they themselves don’t know why the person is doing whatever to them. But let's go into our facts, often times black’s salaries are less than white’s salaries and it's the same wage difference between men and woman. This shows that there is still discrimination today in jobs. Also children and people discriminate others for their belief or culture. When 9/11 happen most islamic or muslim people were looked on as extremist. Even though they as an individual had nothing to do with it. Some even blacks hate white people in general because of what some of the southern whites did to the black people during when Jim Crow laws were legal. It's not just a race thing, but racism-then caused racism-now against each other which caused a hate, but how does hate affect the future?

What can discrimination today lead to if it still continues to thrive like it is today? The country will not achieve its goal of peace. The country will be chaotic since the children of the people that do discriminate learn from their parents and that will become one main trait that some of them will carry the rest of their lives. This will affect their community and others around them causing hate and anger to increase and not letting knowledge and peace flow, because discrimination itself is hatred among other people based upon people’s arrogant opinions what they claim themselves as facts. This may lead to distrust within the national alliances the USA has with other countries. This may lead to that because then they will look at our problems and judge upon what the american people are doing and how the government will respond and won’t like and will ask themselves. “How can we build an alliance with them to help the world when that one country is having its own war”. The past has made its impact on the presents, but what we do today impacts the outcome of tomorrow.

What does Discrimination does to a society? In a society it is it key factor that people communicate their feelings and build communities.. But how can this happen if there is not any speaking other than negativity about how they hate the person or those “types of people”. For the dominant group which is the group that thinks they are dominant than everyone else. Their children the mindset as very arrogant because they parents are being arrogant about their belief about discrimination. Also for the people that are discriminated on, this can cause people to have a very low mindset or a low self esteem because their confidence is always brung down because of the discriminative group. As a society its effect would not be good.

But what as people can we do about it? We can be people that make a difference starting with us. We have our judgemental disliking of types of people, no matter how we think of it, it's still discrimination which has to start with ourselves and looking in the mirror and changing your character. Some people joke about these things dealing with discrimination, at the moment it may be funny, but the sad part about its true. This is not something that should be joked about because people’s rights are taken and people themselves are punished or abused because of they hatred or arrogance of other people.

In conclusion, Is Discrimination still Amongst America? The answer is yes, because of some of the people’s roots from the past which impacted now’s timing. We need to make an impact on the future before discrimination takes a hold of society as a whole. Discrimination is not the key to hatred, we are the user and discrimination is the key, but we unlock hatred because it all started by foolish and uncontrolled anger.

Please comment if you enjoy this article.

Discrimination is not a pretty thing to look at because the generation we live in we see the results od Discrimination a lot, whether it be death, bullying, or even too discriminated and see people commit suicide.