Count the Stars | Teen Ink

Count the Stars

December 14, 2017
By Liana26 SILVER, Delhi, Other
Liana26 SILVER, Delhi, Other
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Forever is composed of nows.


Have you ever had that strange feeling as if you were stuck in an endless loop? As if, in a time when the entire universe is changing and wonderful things are happening all around you, you’re still stuck? Your life plays out like a movie around you and you just remain there, in one spot, unmoving, from the outside looking in. It’s as if…it’s as if you want to do something, your body and mind are pushing you towards it but your legs have stopped. Every day you wake up, do the usual and go back to sleep, when at the end of the day you realize you’re back where you started. It feels like everything played out today just like you wanted it to but just not quite enough. It’s like you are not the version of yourself that you want to be. It is like running in a treadmill. You are running endlessly and yet, never reaching a goal, never stopping, because you do not know when and how to stop.
Life is this wonderful gift and some people are fortunate enough for it to be wrapped with family, friends and good health. When your entire day, each day, passes with you doing something yet doing nothing, learning something yet learning nothing, you are disrespecting this gift. And the worst is when you realize that you are not even good enough for the gift, so you stop appreciating it.


I don’t want to be that person. I don’t want to live in this world knowing that I am just another human who is not leaving any impact, knowing that I was just a tiny little speck of atoms that wanted to contribute to the world but failed and knowing, worst of all, that I could have done it, yet I didn’t. So, then what? Pull on that determined face like every now and then and try to make an effort? Study, write, draw, dance, and do something productive, only to give up a day later? They tell us to work hard to achieve but they never tell us how to keep going on, how to keep working hard. How to keep doing what we love so that we could be the best version of ourselves. Because the thing is, if you work hard every day constantly for a week, you’ll get bored and tired for the next week. Sure, you’ll feel great productive and responsible but that would be in terms of getting things done. But what if that too gets old? What if you start feeling like you’re not doing something new and even your new exciting turn on life becomes monotonous. And no matter what you do, no motivational talks, videos, even books will make you feel better.


I know, feels like an endless cycle, doesn’t it? 
So, is that it? Is that how we will all die? Never completely satisfied, never completely happy? Would be funny if I left it at that, wouldn’t it? No? Okay.


But, see, the thing is, we perceive life in a wrong way. We look at it as a series of platforms we have to reach, one after the other, never stopping or permanently stopping and neither is a good option. So, lets see life differently. I mean, what if it isn’t a series of platforms but a huge ass stage in a rocking concert that you have to, obviously, rock. In which case, you would take the mike and sing till everyone feels infinite. And what if it’s a roller coaster ride? In which case, the ups and highs are the high and low points of your life, which you always survive. But what of it’s …a flying dragon? A flying dragon who takes you to different places and new adventures. Sometimes, it swoops down dangerously close to the ocean, while sometimes it takes you to dance on the clouds. Sometimes, it takes you to the top of high buildings and sometimes it takes you to endless, echoing caves. It takes care of you, this dragon, and makes sure you’re okay no matter what. So, the least you can do is forgive it if it sits you down somewhere for a little while and forgets to come back. In which case, I promise you, it will return and when it does, it will take you places you have never been before.


I think that, in nature, humans would be the only creatures who do this to themselves, who let their emotions get the better of them and hence, the worse of them. Life is not simple. It’s hard, tough, sometimes sad, difficult and honestly, nerve racking but it is also happy, fun and fulfilling. We need to focus on the latter. But, the same question comes to mind. Wont we end up in an endless cycle again?If we are always happy, wont that eventually become dull and boring too?


No, it won’t. Because in the process of living, or rather existing, we forget something. Something very important, something that would bring things in perspective no matter what. Gratitude. It is important to realize how difficult it is for some people, for those who have to scavenge for the food you can just take out from the fridge, for those you have to live or die with the health problems you can get cured in a day, for those have to sleep under the sky even in a brutal weather. Can you live these problems? No. So, you should embrace your problems, and understand the troubles of everyone, because not everyone has it as good as you, and when you don’t get that, you disrespect them.


Life isn’t monotonous. It’s eventful. You can learn a new thing every day. You can set different goals every day. I mean, think about it, do kids ever get bored like you? No. Give them a room of toys and paints, and they will last there for hours. Then, isn’t it better we learn from them in this aspect? I mean, sure I am telling you to listen to tiny human beings who can’t even chew their food yet, but hey! Inspiration sometimes comes from weird places.
It’s important to remember that we can never come to a dead end in life. There is always something else. Something more; some faraway place you can go, some high goal you can achieve, some more friends you can make, some more days you can brighten and some new things you can learn.


So, no. Life is not an endless cycle but a joyful journey. Embrace it. Like Augustus, you need to be on a roller coaster that only goes high, my friend.


 


The author's comments:

I know we teens get discouraged at times, and that horrible, sinking feeling sucks. It's important to remain motivated during times like these. So, here's my opinion, raw and plain, from a teen to a teen.