The American Dream - Simplified | Teen Ink

The American Dream - Simplified

The American Dream is the opportunity to come from nothing and chase your dreams. In many places, where you are born defines who you are. In America, you can be born in a low-income, poverty-stricken, and non-ideal community and still be whoever/whatever you would like to be. Even if you aren’t born into a low-income community you are allowed to be whoever you want to be. America doesn’t define you, the American Dream allows you to define yourself.

Is the American Dream just a ‘dream’?

No. It is possible to attain the American Dream. You achieve this through hard work, determination, and initiative. That being said, there are many factors why the American Dream is challenging to achieve. Education costs are skyrocketing leaving people with an average of $37,000 in debt. There is also increasing income inequality and the government controls too much of businesses. There are around 175,000 rules and regulations controlling how businesses can be run. Finally, retirement is completely out of reach for some people. 1 in 3 people haven't saved anything for retirement.  

How has the American Dream changed?

The American Dream originally was about finding and pursuing happiness no matter what it takes a toll on, including your wallet. In 1931, historian James Truslow Adams and author of “The Epic of America” said "The American Dream is that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement.” However, according to The Current, 60% of Americans believe the American Dream is about finding a career that makes the most money, not happiness. It had more to do with morality than material success. Robert J Shiller, Sterling Professor of economics at Yale University and writer for the New York Times says, “But the last decade has shown that with a little encouragement, many can easily become excessively lustful about homeownership and wealth, to the detriment of our economy and society.”

That’s the wrong way to go. Instead, we need to bring back the American Dream of a just society, where everyone has an opportunity to reach “the fullest stature of which they are innately capable.”

How has living in America affected me?

Personally, living in America has given me so many opportunities to try new things and be the best version of myself. I honestly believe my family has lived and experienced the American Dream to the fullest. My great great grandparents on my father’s side migrated to America from Italy for work opportunities and education. My family may not have been able to live in our middle-class, friendly neighborhood we do today. I may have still been living in Italy right now. Since I’m here I am able to get a good education, play basketball, feel safe, happy, and experience many things I couldn’t have anywhere else.

Surprising American Dream Statistics

<20% of Americans believe they are living the American Dream
36% of people think they’re achieving part of the American Dream
Almost 40% of people do not own a home
Nearly 50% of millennials rent a house
70% of the country thinks achieving the dream is important

In conclusion, the American Dream is highly desired and important to people across the globe, but it’s transforming and its meaning has shifted from happiness to pure success. The American Dream is highly desired but out of reach for many people. The American Dream isn’t just a dream… but it is a challenge.

I used this for an English project