The Effect of Societal Circumstances on Creative Expression Throughout the World's History | Teen Ink

The Effect of Societal Circumstances on Creative Expression Throughout the World's History

October 29, 2018
By Tyler-Olsen BRONZE, Highlandmills, New York
Tyler-Olsen BRONZE, Highlandmills, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Throughout any period of time, despite any societal circumstances that may be deemed relatively negative, the existence of artists and creative thinkers is present. The styles in which creativity is expressed are constantly changing, largely as a result of political and cultural alterations that precede an era. As the standard of living and lack of social restriction increase in a society, the themes and qualities present in art will change to reflect the emotions and standards of the people living in that society. The contrasting qualities of art from the Golden Age of Greece and Modern society display the differing attributes and emotions of each society, which leaves a subconscious record of the standard of living and philosophies embraced in that period of time. As an example, the Greek sculptor Alexandros’ Aphrodite of Milos and modern sculptor Robert Indiana’s LOVE depict the effects a society can have on creative expression.

Despite alternative methods of portrayal, each sculpture represents the same theme of love. The exact purpose of the theme in each piece may be disputed, but the similarity displays the universality of love, and its impact on society in any time period. Aphrodite of Milos expresses this theme implicitly, using the connotation of nudity and the context of the Greek religious Goddess of love, Aphrodite. An audience viewing this piece, with the proper understanding of Greek mythology, makes the inference upon the desired theme as well as to the circumstances surrounding the creation of the piece. By analysing Aphrodite of Milos, one can assume love held a significant role in ancient Greek society, to be portrayed through a religious goddess and through complex marble statues. A similar concept is portrayed in modern art, however being done so more explicitly, and with a differing message. Indiana’s LOVE displays its theme quite clearly - with the piece literally stating the message the artist wishes to convey. However, the specific message is vague, leaving interpretation to the audience. Which, perhaps, is the intention of the artist, to portray a general message in a society lacking a broad, positive emotion. The theme does not require any context and does not rely on connotation in order to reach mass appeal, and bring a broader message to a larger audience in a simple way.

The degree of realism seen in each piece is directly associated with the feelings of a society in a specific time period. During Greece's golden age, the economic and political state of the Grecian states exceeded that of which it saw in years previous. As a result, the sculptures produced in this era featured qualities of mankind that were frequently neglected in previous art. The feeling of individualism that swept through Europe in this time period allowed the populous to become more individualistic, and focus on the beauty of themselves and nature, which was reflected in the realistic detail and proportion of their art. Contrary to this concept is the art of the modern era, which infrequently display realism to a degree rivaling Ancient Greece. The minimalist approach more frequently seen in modern art is primarily a result of two changes in society; the first of which being the general decline in creative focus since 500 B.C., and the second being a demand for change. The simplicity and bright colors Indiana utilizes avert the attention of the audience, who then immediately understand the message of the sculpture with a brief analysis. As previously mentioned, this accessibility is a means of portraying a broad but complex message to a population less interested in art in general as compared to the population of ancient Greece, who then have a greater sense of a simplistic piece of sincere intention.

The approaches taken in creating art in order to communicate a message of the state of a society are unique to each civilization throughout the world’s history. While the themes present in sculptures such as Robert Indiana’s LOVE and Alexandros’ Aphrodite of Milos are similar, the method of conveying this theme is dependant upon the artist’s intention in audience, whether hortative or honorary. These intentions are a reflection of the societies in which these sculptures were created, as expression of the beauty of the individual often seen in ancient Greece, or portrayal of a modern issue through minimalism. The fluctuation of styles in art is directly representative of the changes of the standard of living and demands for change in a given society, and therefore provides a record of the quality of civilizations throughout history.