The Paramount Principles of the American Identity | Teen Ink

The Paramount Principles of the American Identity

By razelmbsuan BRONZE, Quezon City, Other
razelmbsuan BRONZE, Quezon City, Other

When discussing the rise of a global superpower from the ashes of oppression and the rubble of revolution, the principles of American identity, constituted by the founding fathers, must be applauded. The American Revolution, which bidded the meager colonial militia against the greatest military force at that time, entitled Americans to the notion that they must open themselves to uncompromising commitment to liberty and total rejection of aristocracy (Divine). Though the American victory against the British was a laudable feat, it was still too easy for the young nation to deteriorate similar to Haiti in which the nation fell to the crippling sanctions of other nations and corruption (Farmer). Hence, what differentiated the US from other infant nations that allowed it to establish itself as a global superpower later on in its history? The republicanism and enlightenment ideals that established the prevalent social climate in the US, the ratification of the Bill of Rights that paved the way for one of the first manifestations of natural rights, and the presentation of Alexander Hamilton’s financial plan which established many financial precedents set 1791 as the best year in US history.

Republicanism, the notion that “virtuous and autonomous citizens must exercise self-control for the common good”, that established the prevalent social climate in the US set 1791 as the best year in US history (Bolt). This created a republic that was contrastingly different from the absolute monarchies, that were riddled with excessive patronage, that existed at that time. Republican motherhood, the rise in the recognition towards women’s role in shaping the morals of their children, which shapes a moral society, was also introduced (Kerber). This set a precedent for a greater role of women in society which later defeated the ‘cult of domesticity’.

In addition, the enlightenment ideals, that also established the prevalent social climate in the US, set 1791 as the best year in US history. These “concepts such as freedom from oppression, natural rights, and new ways of thinking about governmental structure …. forged the foundations for both colonial and modern America”. In particular, Jean-Jacques Rousseau's emphasis on democracy and consent of the people, and Baron de Montesquieu’s balance of power, evident in checks and balances, were instrumental in creating the dynamic government established by the constitution (Smith). Also, the Enlightenment ideals were instrumental to a change in religious beliefs. It introduced a relationship that was not based on fear and despair, as seen in Calvinism and Puritanism, but rather exemplified “the absolute freedom of people to practice religion as they sought [the] belief in the equality of all beings” (Sage). Without the freedom of religion established in 1791, there would be weaker receptiveness to people from all backgrounds and create a more volatile social climate in the United States.

The ratification of the bill of rights, one of the first tangible manifestations of natural rights, allowed 1791 to become arguably the best year in US history. The Declaration of Independence stated that all “are endowed …. with certain unalienable Rights” (National Archives). The Bill of Rights materialized this. This protected the common man from the manipulation of aristocratic members of society and guaranteed that all humans have equal rights. However, some may argue that the Bill of Rights have caused regressions in development throughout US history. Notably, the Dred Scott decision, in which Supreme Court justice Roger Taney ruled in favor of the Fugitive Slave Act on the grounds of the fifth amendment, is a prime example. Yet, these rights set a precedent for amendments that further established human rights. The 13th abolished slavery, the 14th gave civil rights to all, and 15th amendment gave universal male suffrage. The 19th amendment gave women suffrage, and the 24th amendment eliminated poll taxes to encourage more African Americans to exercise their right to suffrage (University of Minnesota Human Rights Library).

The presentation of Alexander Hamilton’s financial plan which established many financial precedents set 1791 as the best year in US history. Economic plans can define the success of a colony as previously stated about Haiti. The revolution burdened the US with a debt of $54 million. In order to resolve this, Hamilton proposed a financial plan. First and foremost, he proposed the assumption of states’ debt by “[retiring] the old depreciated obligations by borrowing new money at a lower interest rate” (“Alexander Hamilton's Financial Program”). In addition, an excise tax was implemented to generate revenue to pay war debts (Chernow). These showed that Americans had the ability to pay debts which made them attractive to foreign investors, allowing the US to gain capital. Furthermore, the Bank of the United States collected taxes, held government funds, and made loans to the government and borrowers. Lastly, Hamilton aided the nation’s infant industries through high tariffs. Though the financial plan was a work in progress since the 1790s, the approval of its final aspect in 1791 affirmed its validity. Hamilton’s financial plan set a precedent for other groundbreaking proposals in the future with similar ideas such as the American System, the New Deal, and Great Society (Hamilton's Financial Plan).

When addressing such a subjective question, such as “What is the best year in US history?”, there will be a multitude of perspectives. Yet, a great commonality that could be assumed is that many will state that the greatest year in US history will be the year of accomplishments with the Allied Forces’ victory in 1945 as an example. However, this profound question must force one to look back at the fundamental litigations and notions that gave the United States the platform to excel as a country. Without the success of the young nation, the most monumental victories of the superpower that many know today would not be possible. In contrast, many of the most atrocious moments in history such as Jim Crow Laws and the Trail of Tears have come from the rejection of these fundamental notions. As Thomas Paine once said, “he that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression” (“A Dissertation on the First Principles of Government”). Therefore, it must be inferred that the further success of the United States lies in the ability of its people to uphold the visions of their founders and the principles of the American identity. The US’s success will always be reliant on its citizens’ adherence to its principal values, thus making the US perpetually subservient to the successes of the year 1791, making it the best year in US history.

Works Cited

Chernow, Ron. Alexander Hamilton. Random House Large Print Publishing, 2016.

“Declaration of Independence: A Transcription.” National Archives and Records Administration, National Archives and Records Administration.

Divine, Robert A. The American Story. Prentice Hall, 2010.

“The Enlightenment in America.” The Gilded Age: 1865-1900.

Farmer, Paul. The Uses of Haiti. Common Courage Press, 2006.

“Founders Online: From Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 20 December 1787.” National Archives and Records Administration, National Archives and Records Administration.

“Hamilton's Financial Plan.” Ushistory, Independence Hall Association.

“The Influence of the Enlightenment on The Formation of the United States.” Article Myriad.

Kerber, Linda K. Women of the Republic Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America. The University of North Carolina Press, 2014.

Paine, Thomas. The First Principles of Government. Publisher Not Identified, 1795.

Website design and web development by Mango Web Design mangowebdesign. “Republicanism.” North Carolina History Project.