Reflective Essay | Teen Ink

Reflective Essay

By StrangePerson BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota
StrangePerson BRONZE, Welch, Minnesota

My ideal teacher wouldn’t give out homework to the point of it being too overbearing and stressful. It would be enough to teach us how to do things, but they wouldn’t be drowning us in work every day. They would keep everything planned out, instead of just ‘going with it’. The lessons would be easy to follow, not all over the place, trying to get people to understand something incomprehensible. They would give students enough motivation to get their work done, but not scare them with stacks of paper. My ideal teacher would do these things. They would be easy to follow, laid back to an extent, and not choose favorites.

The first thing that they would do is not give out too much homework. Just enough to teach us how to do whatever it is they are teaching, but not so much that we feel like we’re getting buried under all of the work. A time when I had too much homework was when I was sick, so I had over 2 days of homework that I needed to get done in a short amount of time. I think it would be better for teachers to do this, for the students' sake. Getting a massive amount of homework in multiple classes is very stressful, especially when it’s due the very next day for each class. It’s also a better way of teaching. In my perspective, it gives more time for the students to learn from the teacher.

The second thing that this teacher would do is everything would be planned out completely and everything would be organized, so everything can go smoothly during class. Like how one of my teachers had almost nothing planned out and some days it was in complete chaos. For me, it’s easier to follow things when they are specified clearly, not just some vague do this then that, I don’t care just get it done. When the teacher plans things out, it's easier to follow them. I’ve also noticed that it gives students more work time and actually get things accomplished.

The last thing is they wouldn’t pick favorites. They wouldn’t favor one student over the rest of the class. To the point where one would get in trouble for something the other kid did.  There was this one time maybe second grade where I sharpened a colored pencil after another student sharpened a colored pencil, and I was the only one that got in trouble. Everyone would be treated the same in the class, and they wouldn’t dock points off of tests without explanation. And the ‘least favorite’ kid wouldn’t be blamed for things that the favored student did.

In conclusion, my ideal teacher wouldn’t give too much homework, would be easy to understand, and they wouldn’t be hypocritical. “A good teacher is like a candle-it consumes itself to light the way for others.” A good teacher doesn’t keep students away from wisdom, they show students how to do what they need to do. By gaining skills from those kinds of teachers, the students will understand the concepts.