Thought Without Language | Teen Ink

Thought Without Language

January 27, 2019
By jlgershon BRONZE, West Hartford, Connecticut
jlgershon BRONZE, West Hartford, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Language n.

lan· guage | \ˈlaŋ-gwij\

1 a : the words, their pronunciation, and the methods of combining them used and understood by a considerable community

(Webster’s Ninth Collegiate Dictionary)


Before language was introduced to the world, humans survived on earth without verbal or written communication.

If a bear came charging towards him, the caveman knew to run the other way. If he felt an emptiness in his stomach, the caveman knew to find a source of food. If he wished to communicate with another being, the caveman used hand gestures, actions or explanatory drawings. He reacted; no language needed. It would appear as though these primordial human beings were able to think without words or sentences.

Even today, this behavior is observed in intelligent animals. Elephants express empathy towards their kin, as well as imperilled human beings. Octopuses escape closed jars by unscrewing plastic lids. Crows crack shelled nuts by dropping them onto busy roads, allowing cars to break them with their weight. Dolphins perform acrobatics that the majority of humans would not attempt. Clearly, many species can process high order thinking without the use of written or spoken words.

Thus, why do some believe it is impossible to have thoughts without language? Benjamin Lee Whorf was one of the first linguists to discuss this topic. Over the years, he has become known for his role in forming the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, which argues two concepts: “linguistic relativity” and “linguistic determinism”. Linguistic relativity is the idea that one’s language affects how they perceive the world around them (Comrie). Linguistic determinism, is the idea that thought is only generated through language (Comrie). Unlike linguistic relativity, many scientists deny linguistic determinism. Guy Deutscher argues that we should not assume one’s language prevents them from thinking certain thoughts. One’s vocabulary does not simply inhibit one from advancing what one is able to ponder (Deutscher).

For example, if a young girl does not understand the word “sympathy,” she can still express feelings of sorrow or pity towards someone else. If a newborn infant does not comprehend the word “toy”, he can still wish to play with the new plastic rings his parents bought him. If a language does not possess a future tense, its speakers can understand future time regardless (Deutscher). Vocabulary does not equal capability of thought.

Furthermore, Noam Chomsky, another well-known linguist, expresses his opinions on the subject of thought without language. To him, a thought is generated through a “series of fragments” (Chomsky). “One word will come to mind” and then another and another, until all of a sudden you know “exactly what the thought is”. Which is to say that the “thinking is going on” and only later the “externalized” pieces of language accompany it. And even when language is compiled to convey thought, there is still “a lot of stuff you just can’t express” in words.

Many would argue one can express thought in ways other than words, and thus language is not needed. Abstract paintings can elicit an extensive array of emotions or messages. The painter simply displays and communicates ideas inside their mind through the use of color and shape. A dancer conveys their emotions and thoughts through body movements as they perform across the stage. Exhibiting feelings through music, a pianist writes out their ponderings as a series of musical notes which engenders certain emotions for the listeners. No verbal or written explanation needed. These various arts forms not only communicate what could be written and spoken, but they also provide an outlet for ideas and thoughts which might not be able to be expressed in words. Words do not limit thought.

“If the inventory of ready-made words in your language determined which concepts you were able to understand, how would you ever learn anything new?” (Deutscher). Language is not what creates thought, but rather thought creates language.

Illustrating this idea, scientists often explore the unknown, where no one has yet assigned names to new discoveries. For example, Ernest Rutherford was the first person to detect a microscopic, positively charged subatomic particle in the center of an atom. A “proton”. Scientists were still able to converse about the particle, before it was termed. It was their thoughts which generated the word, not vise versa.

In this way, language evolved so human beings could communicate what they were thinking. If language had to exist for humans to be able to think, then would humans have lacked the capacity to generate thoughts until they created language? Language provides a means to explain thoughts of value. Eskimos utilize a language which possesses more than fifty words for snow. English has only one.

So why do the Eskimos have so many? Because each word holds a certain value. “Aqilokoq” signifies “softly falling snow”, while “piegnartoq” translates to “the snow [that is] good for driving sled” (Robson). In a land constantly bombarded with snow, Eskimos must learn to survive amongst frigid temperatures. In their world, snow is a part of life. It is imperative that one can speak to another with language precise enough to describe the environment. They must determine whether it is safe to go out and hunt, whether they can efficiently travel, or whether it is too dangerous to leave home. However, in America, where snow is a minor factor in life, it is of no value for us to possess fifty words for snow. It infrequently affects our daily existence.

Beyond the idea of thought without language and the creation of words, language has great implications in our daily lives. Although words might not be necessary for one to generate ideas in their mind, they certainly aid in communicating their thoughts to another human being as well as in processing more complex ideas. Participating in a game of charades, a person might easily be able to visualize an idea in their mind, yet conveying it to an audience without the use of verbal or written words makes the task certainly more difficult.

Occurrences such as this, similarly are present in everyday life. Nearly everyone has experienced a time in which they wished to express themselves but could not find the words to do so. One may be thinking without the use of language, albeit, they will need words to communicate their thoughts to another person. Taking a moment to consider how to phrase a thought aids in the clarification of the idea. Language is not required in thinking, but rather is essential in communicating.

Today, in modern society, communication has evolved with the addition of emoticons. It would appear as though society has somewhat regressed, turning back to drawings and pictures as a means of expression. Human beings can now relay entire messages and emotions with the use of small images. We are literally communicating without written or spoken word; without language.

 


Works Cited

Comrie, Bernard. “Language and Thought.” Linguistic Society of America.

Deutscher, Guy. “Does Your Language Shape How You Think?” The New York Times, The New York Times, 26 Aug. 2010.

Philosophy, Chomsky's. “Noam Chomsky - Thought Without Language.” YouTube, YouTube, 15 July 2016.

Scientist, David Robson | New. “There Really Are 50 Eskimo Words for 'Snow'.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 14 Jan. 2013.