Gone in a Coffin | Teen Ink

Gone in a Coffin

By 378418 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
378418 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Stories have a variety of ways to gain the interest of readers through its plot and main events. The Boy In The Black Suit has a slow-paced storyline that does not seem interesting at first. Matthew Miller is the main character in the novel, and after his mom [Daisy Miller] died, things were rough for him and his dad. Jason Reynolds uses the death of certain characters to build up the story and main events through imagery, dialogue, and characters action.

Matt started looking for a job since his mother died because he wanted to help his dad financially. After hearing this, Mr.Ray offered him a position at the funeral home. Matt hesitated on the offer, but he ended up choosing it over Cluck Bucket, the fast food restaurant. “Funerals suck. The possibility of not being able to eat my favorite fast food, dealing with random crazies who come in and talk trash, and mopping up throw-up really, really sucks.” [Reynolds 16]. This shows that Matt is a caring, hard-working character because he’s willing to put in an effort to help his father Mr.Miller. Reynolds uses character action because Matt chose to get a job and accept Mr.Ray’s offer. The Dialogue between Willie Ray and Matt also contributed to the story development.

The current situation has been tough on Matthew, but it has caused him to get closer with his dad, and best friend Chris. Matt’s dad didn’t drink when he and his wife were together, but after her passing, he started to drink again. He started hanging with Cork, who was an alcoholic, and also Willie Ray’s brother. One rainy night, when Mr.Miller was on his way home, his car lost balance and got hit by a Gipsy cab. He was severely injured with cracks in his ribs, and fractures on both legs along with his hairline and jaw, [Reynolds 88-92]. Matt went to visit his father at the hospital. He had every right to be very furious, but instead, he felt relieved that his dad remained alive because it would have been terrible news for Matt had his father died. They were able to talk about things and overall form a closer bond. Reynolds uses dialogue to portray this. The author shows that Matt is very caring, especially when it comes to family and close friends. “I swallowed hard and reached out for a five, holding back my tears. Do. not. cry. Not in school. Chris grabbed my hand and pulled me close for a man-hug.” [Reynolds 4] Since the very beginning, Chris and Matt were tight best friends. After what happened, their bond became stronger, Chris never had a father in the picture, so in a way, he could relate to Matt, although not completely, because you can’t miss something you never had. Reynolds shows us all of these secure and special connections through dialogue.

Love, the girl who Matt met and instantly had a connection with, has given him several new experiences which have been important and very sentimental aspects in the story. Reynolds did something really nifty with the death of Love’s mother, Renee. The day she died, on Valentine’s day, Matt was there too, because he was having a sleepover at Chris’s apartment, [Reynolds 220-226] This led to a more close and affectionate relationship. The way fate worked in their lives was very interesting, and it made the reader want to keep on reading. After sharing that with each other, they could have left it at that, but they decided to keep on seeing each other. It formed a strong base for their relationship. Matt saw how strong Love was since her mother died, especially since she was seven when it happened. The tragic events of their mothers dying brought them together. Later on, they went on a date to the botanical garden. “We kept on walking through the maze of green, brown, and orange, the weird shapes and smells, sprinklers misting over the flowers, people in green suits spraying and trimming.” [Reynolds 234] Reynolds paints this scene from the story through imagery, and it gives you an idea of all the different flowers in the garden. “Her cheeks were lit up, red as roses. And then, the moment happened. You know the moment when everything fades to black and the soft music comes out of nowhere--violins and romantic instruments, and everything starts moving in slow motion, except for your hearts, which pound faster than ever, and each of you can somehow hear them thumping in your brain, and all you have to do is take one step and meet each other for that first awkward, electric kiss? That moment.”

[Reynolds 236]. This imagery felt stronger here, you can actually feel the moment as if you are in it. It was a great moment for Matt and Love. Although a very strong man, both emotionally and physically, the author brings the curtain down and lets us see a soft and sweet version of Matt. He isn’t trying to be super tough around Love. He lets her see the caring side of him, and they always have deep conversations.

Jason Reynolds uses the death of certain characters to build up the story and main events through imagery, dialogue, and characters action. The conflict in the story tied the whole story together and brought out good outcomes. Jason Reynolds did an excellent job of filling this story with great characters and a steady plot. When looking for a paced plot and tender romance, The Boy In The Black Suit is the way to go.

This is an essay about the conflict from the book, "The Boy In The Black Suit."