Human trafficking cause and effect | Teen Ink

Human trafficking cause and effect

February 27, 2019
By Anonymous

“Human Trafficking Search (HTS) seeks to raise awareness and help prevent and eliminate human trafficking worldwide. In support of these efforts, HTS produces a weekly blog, publishes research, and hosts a global resource database on human trafficking and modern-day slavery”.

HTS seems like a good site because they aren’t trying to make money they are just trying to help raise awareness for people that are stuck in these situations.

“Native Americans are victimized by human trafficking at rates higher than that of the general population. Though statistics are few and far between, testimony from experts, activists, and tribal leaders – as well as independent investigations – have revealed a disproportionate impact. In a study conducted at four sites in the U.S. and Canada, “an average of 40 percent of women involved in sex trafficking identified as an AI/AN or First Nations,” yet Native women represent 10 percent or less of the general population in the studied communities. Lisa Brunner of the National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center summarized the problem to Congress in 2013 as such:”

“Native women experience violent victimization at a higher rate than any other U.S. population. Congressional findings are that Native American and Alaska Native women are raped 34.1%, more than 1 in 3, will be raped in their lifetime, 64%, more than 6 in 10, will be physically assaulted. Native women are stalked more than twice the rate of other women. Native women are murdered at more than ten times the national average. Non-Indians commit 88% of violent crimes against Native women. Given the above statistical data and the historical roots of violence against Native women, the level of human trafficking given the sparse data collected can only equate to the current epidemic levels we face within our tribal communities and Nations.”

“Global Citizen is a movement of engaged citizens who are using their collective voice to end extreme poverty by 2030. On our platform, Global Citizens learn about the systemic causes of extreme poverty, take action on those issues, and earn rewards for their actions — as part of a global community committed to lasting change.”(“Breaking Free: Native American Women Tell How They Survived Sex Trafficking.”)

“Advocates point out that poverty, homelessness, and addiction make women vulnerable to entering into prostitution or being trafficked because pimps can help meet those basic needs. Also, the reason so many Native women are homeless and impoverished is, in part, because of federal policies that have made the population the poorest ethnic group in the nation.”(“Breaking Free: Native American Women Tell How They Survived Sex Trafficking.”)

“The mission of the Amherst H. Wilder Foundation is to promote the social welfare of persons resident or located in the greater Saint Paul metropolitan area by all appropriate means including:

Relief of the poor, Care of the sick and aged, Care and nurture of children, Aid of the disadvantaged and otherwise needy, Promotion of physical and mental health, Support of rehabilitation and corrections, Provision of needed housing and social services, Operation of residences and facilities for the aged, the infirm and those requiring special care”(“Understanding Sex Trafficking and What Minnesota Is Doing to Address It.”)


“Minnesota has been a leader in efforts to address sex trafficking. Through Minnesota’s Safe Harbor law, funding was dedicated to a number of programs that provide services to sexually exploited youth and young adults. In fall 2017, Wilder Research completed the second biennium evaluation of those services. Some of the key findings show that the services and support are making a positive difference, including:

Youth and young adult victims feel more hopeful and better prepared for their future. Awareness of sex trafficking continues to increase, especially as people who work with youth and young adults better understand how to identify people who may be impacted. There are more services and housing available because of Safe Harbor. The quality of services to youth and young adults has improved because of Safe Harbor. Collaboration between agencies and systems, including law enforcement, has also increased, likely because of the training efforts about sex trafficking and Safe Harbor.”(“Understanding Sex Trafficking and What Minnesota Is Doing to Address It.”)

“Federally-recognized tribes are sovereign nations with their own governments, laws and legal systems, and the authority to make and enforce their own criminal and civil laws. The U.S. government also has a “trust relationship” with the tribes, which means that it is obligated to provide the tribes with certain protections, resources, and services, such as health care.”(Kathryn Ford)


The author's comments:

Works Cited

“Breaking Free: Native American Women Tell How They Survived Sex Trafficking.” Global Citizen, www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/breaking-free-native-american-women-tell-how-they/.

Kathryn Ford. ”Tribal Justice and Sex Trafficking” Center for Court Innovation, chapter 8

htcourts.org/wp-content/uploads/Ch-8_140425_NACM_Guide_OnlineV_v04.pdf

“Trafficking in Tribal Nations: the Impact of Sex Trafficking on Native Americans • Human Trafficking Search.” Human Trafficking Search, 22 Jan. 2018, humantraffickingsearch.org/traffickingofnativeamericans/.

“Understanding Sex Trafficking and What Minnesota Is Doing to Address It.” Wilder Foundation, www.wilder.org/articles/understanding-sex-trafficking-and-what-minnesota-doing-address-it.