Communism | Teen Ink

Communism

March 10, 2019
By elisewalker SILVER, Enoch, Utah
elisewalker SILVER, Enoch, Utah
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Communism is a political theory that leads to a society in which property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs. Only a few countries are left that practice this form of government. Those countries include China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, and Vietnam. A few of the reasons that these countries chose to practice Communism was of a revolution, a person demanding power over others, or by a country being partitioned.

China, one of the five countries that still practice Communism, was taken control by Mao Zedong in 1949, who proclaimed the nation as a Communist country. Today, Xi Jinping is in control of China’s government.

Another country that chooses to practice Communism is Cuba. In 1959, a revolution had led to the takeover of the Cuban Government. By the year 1961, the Soviet Union had developed close ties with the new Communist country, Cuba.

Laos, a country on the continent of Asia, is also Communist. This country became Communist in 1975 after following a revolution. Prior to the revolution the country was a monarchy. The president of this country today is Bounnhang Vorachith.

North Korea is another Communist country. It became Communist in 1948 when South Korea declared independence from the North. North Korea does not consider itself to be Communist, instead it is based on the concept of self reliance. In 2009, the country’s constitution removed all Marxist and Leninist ideals that are the foundation of Communism. The very word “Communism” was removed from the constitution.

The last country known to practice Communism is Vietnam. It was partitioned at a conference in 1954. The partition was supposed to be temporary, but in 1976 Vietnam as a unified country became a permanent Communist country.