Ganymede: The Water Pourer | Teen Ink

Ganymede: The Water Pourer

March 14, 2019
By N GOLD, Eagle, Wisconsin
N GOLD, Eagle, Wisconsin
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."


Every star, constellation, and planet holds an intricate novella of its own. But there is an elder in the sky–der Wassermann, il Aquario, le Verseau, Ganymede, Aquarius–a single constellation that has aged long in the eyes of Man (“Constellation of Words”, n.d). Located in the sea of the sky, the well-known zodiac establishes a division between Pisces and Capricornus; it’s accompanied by other water-related networks of stars: Delphinus (the dolphin), Eridanus (the river), Pisces (the fish), and Cetus (the whale) (Zimmermann, 2017). It is a constellation knitted into the sky, stars weaved into navy blue, night waves. Aquarius’ heavenly bodies of light form a shape–a body of a young prince. Ganymede.  

In the beginning, the lore depicted Ganymede as a mortal–the most beautiful mortal, according to Zeus. It was inevitable that the god send an eagle to retrieve the boy, thieving him from his royal father (“Ganymede”, 2019). No matter, Zeus was said to have generously compensated the king. He supplied him with several immortal, powerful horses. And in time, Ganymede earned the hearts of Olympus’ important figures. However, there was an exception. Hera, Goddess of Marriage and Birth, Zeus’ sister and lover, did not take kindly to Ganymede (Greek Mythology, 2019). After all, he was claimed to be a rival; Zeus, her husband, was honed in on a precious, mortal boy. No, it was not a homosexual affair nor pedophilia. But it was intimate, deep, and deathless. Zeus had granted his newfound acquaintance eternal life. Known as the cupbearer of gods, he provided the deities Ambrosia nectar (Windows to the Universe, 2012). With that, Ganymede fell into the pages of books; his name was inked deep into aging, ancient paper. Into archives reeking of lignin and neglect. Into the stars. And in the end, he managed to catch only a minor role in Greek mythology. But to this day, he is still referenced. Ganymede, the eleventh zodiac constellation.

Ganymede–der Wassermann, il Aquario, le Verseau, Aquarius–is an elder in the sky. A single constellation that has aged long in the eyes of Man, yet not on Olympus. The immortal swims in the ocean of constellations. He is knitted into the sky, stars weaved into navy blue, night waves.