Song Lyric Analysis | Teen Ink

Song Lyric Analysis

By haileybell BRONZE, Belle Chasse, Louisiana
haileybell BRONZE, Belle Chasse, Louisiana

The song “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody” by Fergie, Q Tip, and GoonRock represents the idea of partying that many people held during the 1920s.  In the Gatsby movie, this song is played during one of Gatsby’s parties, and many lyrics in this song clearly represent things that went on at these parties.  The title of “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody” perfectly captures the belief of people during the Roaring 20s, which is that they could party and drink all they want and there would be no consequences.  In reality people were trying to drink away their problems, and a huge problem during this time is that a majority of people were in poverty and were greatly affected by the Great Depression. The fact that people were so enthralled by these parties is portrayed through the lyrics, “Glad you made it, look around, You don’t see one person sitting down, They got drinks in their hands, And the room’s a bust.”  During Gatsby’s parties, no one was sitting down because everyone was worried about having a good time, getting drunk, and impressing other people. The lyric “Fake chit chat ‘bout the things they got,” shows how many people who attended the parties would talk to other people and try to sound wealthy and intelligent, which is why disillusionment is a big thing from the 20s because people tried to make their lives sound better than they actually are because most people were struggling financially.  Moreover, the lyric “I ain’t got time for you baby,” shows the lack of authenticity that took place during this time. People put on a face on while at these parties to make themselves seem great, and they did this to make friends or find a girl or boy. Partying was a very big thing to do in the 1920s, and people thought that as long as they were drunk and having a good time they would be able to forget about all of the problems that they were facing.

The song “Love is Blindness” by Jack White portrays Gatsby’s obsession with Daisy by describing how when someone is in love, he or she is blind to the reality of the person they are in love with.  “Love is Blindness” captures how Gatsby is captivated with Daisy because he is completely blind to the fact that she does not love him and that he likes the idea of her more than he likes Daisy, the actual person.  Some lyrics that represent how Gatsby is fixated with Daisy is “I’m in a parked car on a crowded street, And I see my love Made complete.” It seems that Gatsby has tunnel vision for Daisy, and she is all he can focus on.  Also when Gatsby, Daisy, and Nick go to Gatsby’s mansion, Gatsby changes his perspective on things in his house depending on if Daisy likes them or not. On the other hand, the lyrics “The thread is ripping” and “The knot is slipping” shows how toxic the “love” between Gatsby and Daisy is.  The thread and knot that hold Gatsby and Daisy together is getting undone as Gatsby becomes more and more wound up in his obsession with Daisy because he places a huge expectation on her that she would never be able to meet. Similarly, the lyric “A little death Without mourning” represents how Gatsby feels because Daisy does not love him back.  He is dead on the inside because he places all of his self worth in her, but there is no way that she can completely fulfill his wants and needs. Also, the lyric “Love is clockworks” represents how Gatsby wants to stop time. In the novel and movie Gatsby knocks over a clock which is symbolic because he says a quote about being able to repeat the past, so it is clear that he wants to freeze time and go back to the past when he and Daisy were in love.  The fact that Gatsby’s obsession with Daisy makes him blind to the real world is a serious problem because he is not able to see that she does not love him, and that his love for her is only superficial.