How Tornadoes Affect the Human Brain | Teen Ink

How Tornadoes Affect the Human Brain

By Ransomml BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
Ransomml BRONZE, Parker, Colorado

How do tornadoes affect the human brain?

The psychology of a tornado is a complex topic, however, tornadoes do not have the capacity to think, as they are, works of nature. This essay explores the idea of how tornadoes psychologically affect the human race, whether you are an adult, or child, reporter or storm chaser, how does this monstrous beast affect the humanitarian mindset. 

A tornado is a mobile, destructive vortex of violently rotating winds having the appearance of a funnel-shaped cloud and advancing beneath a large storm system. Many different types of tornadoes exist and all create devastating damage, however, this essay will focus on the main formation, a super-cell. Tornadoes both cause short, and long term damage both physically, but mentally as well. Economies can lose billions of dollars, vegetation can be damaged or contaminated, and as the topic of this essay debates, psychologically as well. 

Warning systems have advanced with time, increasing the action time till the tornado strikes, however, false actions can still be put into effect. This leads the human brain to be distrusting and look for more signs of danger, rather than taking immediate action. This is what has lead to the most deaths, not getting the proper warning. This can also lead people who live in tornado prone areas to become more compliant as referenced by the Center of Disaster Philanthropy, “For those who live in the most tornado-prone areas, an understanding of the way tornadoes “usually” occur may lead to complacency.” A study was released in 2012, a new system of warning. This system was created after the devastating Joplin tornado that cost 158 people their lives. At the time of the Joplin tornado, people did not heed the warnings and take action, however, searched for more conformation. This new system provides that conformation and even more information for example, not only applying the watches and warnings, but notifications that a tornado was confirmed to be on the ground and driving towards a populated area. However, this new system has also been found to add more problems as well. These new warnings were more loud, terrifying, prompting those who hear to act appropriately. Quotes such as, “Mass destruction,” or “Total destruction.” This was the first change to the warning system since 1950, and critics were worried it would cause more panic, rather than inform. However, these warnings were proven effective as it scared the people in the warning area to take action. 

When it comes to the first reactions humans have to losing their possessions or family to a tornado, is shock. These people begin to follow the pattern of the seven stages of grief. Shock, denial, anger, bargaining, guilt, depression, acceptance and hope have all been found in studies of those affected by the winded destruction. Other effects aside from the seven stages of grief includes overwhelming anxiety. Survivors also reported lack or uneasiness when sleeping, feeling at fault for unknown reasons, advanced worry when severe storms are present, easily triggered anger or aggression, and an increased fear or memory of the storm. Along with rebuilding, people affected also have to rebuild their mental mindset. It is recommended from the US government owned site, SAMHSA, that people affected by these conditions should seek out mental services, also known as counselling or psychology services. The people who search for counseling often look for help for years after the initial storm. The people in need can live with the pain for all their lives, especially if deaths occured. It takes time to adjust and communication to administer proper help to those affected. However, 25% of those who are mentally affected include adolescence who are forced to live with the tragic memories for longer than adults. A research study conducted by NCBI took a field of 2,000 families with male adolescents  and 2,000 families with female adolescents affected by an Alabama tornado and the record breaking Joplin tornado. The storms created an estimated death count of 350 residents and injured 3,000 individuals. The subjects were measured on their depression levels and were assessed on possible PTSD symptoms. 1,999 of the subjects had PTSD symptoms and 1,998 of the subjects showed depressive symptoms. The females stress and PTSD markers were even higher. When studying this research, they conductors found that PTSD levels were decreased when the adolescence had access to higher social support systems. Social systems were proven crucial healing methods to females as they lowered PTSD symptoms even more so than the male participants. 

What about reporters and journalists? A report with Ashley Reynolds, a main key reporter to the Joplin tornado, can shed light into the mind of a tornado reporter. 

Ashley recalls her first view of the damage as being able to see semis that have been thrown off the main road. She smelled natural gas spilling into the air, seeing the sickly green sky, and heard machines from the hospital as it lost power. Ashley has shown signs of PTSD as she still recalls the day, even three years later. For two days, Ashley stood among the debris and reported on the loss of life and home. She quotes,

“You got to get the job done.” Once Reynolds came back to her newly constructed home town, she went to church and was surrounded by families that had lost everything. 

“Joplin is not something that you forget.”  

Reporting has changed many ways over time, however, one of the most effective ways is reports usually went as followed, 

“We tell you tomorrow what happened today.”

to now it is currently,

“We tell you right now what is happening.” Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat. These sites allow for news to travel faster. A reporter for a local news service in New Orleans caught wind of a tornado warning and immediately sent out a live blog to warn the general public. By warning more people quicker, less deaths occur, allowing for reporters to feel less of a burden when less people die, knowing they tried their best with the current tech available. 

How are storm chasers mentally affected? The first point is knowing what a storm chaser is and why they do it. A storm chaser is a person who travels to locations where a tornado or other severe weather is forecast, as a hobby or in order to photograph or study it. Why? It ranges. Some storm chasers do it to warn the public quicker, some for the science, others do it for the adrenaline kick. Either way, it’s a dangerous activity to be apart of. Some argue that storm chasing is immoral. Many times, storm chasers are the first to help those in need as they follow that path of the storm. However, storm chasing can also add to the death count. This can be seen in death toll from the largest tornado on Earth….the El Reno tornado. The El Reno took eight lives, one being an inexperienced storm chaser, and three being heavily trained and experienced storm chasers, Tim, (father), and Paul Samaras,(son), and their photographer Carl Young.

A director from the National Weather Service, Dr. Joe Schaefer, quotes, "Some of these guys are total idiots, they're a hazard to themselves, and a hazard to others. Supercell thunderstorms are very dangerous, and if you don't understand storm structure it's a crap shoot."

What truly draws the chasers in? This can be connected to the psychology of risk. Some chasers love the feeling of adrenaline. This term, examined by master thesis creator, Shuangyu Xu, is called, “sensation seeking.” Xu compared storm chasers to other adrenaline seeking behaviors such as sky-diving, mountain climbing, white water rafting, and other high risk recreation. Storm chasing scored moderitally on sensation seeking behavior. 

When clients where interviewed on why they participate in storm chasing activities, they quote said, 

“Signed up to be near nature, to witness natural power and beauty, and to learn about tornadoes. They were not generally doing it to impress people or do something extraordinary, and only moderately interested in the thrill, danger, or risks.” The Front Page, 2019. 

Some argue that storm chasers were born wild, a taste for the chase. Studies show from mental health experts, that storm chasers do not fit a single personality group. 

"The combination of the two -- impulsivity and sensation-seeking -- in one person is particularly likely to lead them into harm's way," Dr. Hoyle quotes after studying both impulsivity and sensation seeking. Health Day, 2018. 

When tornadoes strike, many people are affected. Money proceeds to general public, media attention to those reporting, and an undying, unquenchable thirst for danger in the storm chasers community. Psychology is such a major part of the humane spirit, however, when uncontrollable forces rise, such as a tornado, the human brain can light up and snap to life, much a power line being pulled by 200 mph winds, thrashing into a wrecked future.

Hello! My name is Madisyn and I am an aspiring chief meteorlogist. I was in school where we were required to write a 3 page essay on anything of our choice. I chose tornadoes, naturally. But so many studies about tornadoes can be found online so how was I supposed to set myself apart. I began to ponder on the idea of the human pyche. So as such, this seven page essay was born. Hope you enjoy <3