Childhood Hunger is a Significant Problem in the United States | Teen Ink

Childhood Hunger is a Significant Problem in the United States

Imagine waking up in the morning with a growling stomach, looking into the pantry, and seeing that there is no food to eat.   Unfortunately, this is a reality for many children. According to Children Incorporated, one in six children in the United States do not have enough nutritious food to lead a healthy life.  The inability to receive the right food can cause a multitude of issues, as a child and as an adult. Childhood hunger impacts children’s physical health, mental health, and ability to succeed at school and at home.  

First, childhood hunger negatively affects health.  Hunger greatly impacts many parts of the body. People that are hungry often lack essential vitamins and minerals needed to keep the body healthy.  Hunger can cause the immune system to weaken, which makes infections and diseases much more likely. When a person is starving, his or her own muscles and organs become a source of food for the brain.  This is like the body is eating itself to supply “food” to the brain. Childhood hunger increases the risk of chronic diseases, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and Type 2 Diabetes. Additionally, hunger prevents proper growth and development.  Children who live in food-insecure homes are often underweight or shorter than the average height. A major part of growth is based on sleep, but many children have trouble falling asleep because they are so hungry. Starving kids spend the whole night tossing and turning, just thinking about the one image that pops into their heads — food.  Human Growth Hormone is released during sleep, so if children are unable to obtain quality deep sleep, less of the hormone in released.  This can stunt growth and eventually cause severe developmental impairments.  

Secondly, childhood hunger greatly affects mental health.  Children who are hungry are much more likely to experience depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder.  This results from food insecurity, or continuous worry about where their next meal will come from. Many children are embarrassed and ashamed of their hunger.  Because of this embarrassment, they may not feel comfortable asking for food or other help. Some kids may feel isolated and struggle to make connections with their peers.  It is doubtful that these children have friends over because they can’t even offer them a snack. An empty stomach also leads children to display behavioral issues. Many hungry children can become hyperactive, aggressive, and difficult to handle.  These children are often viewed as unruly and problematic by other kids and adults, when all they really are is hungry.

Lastly, childhood hunger negatively influences success at school and at home. Hunger can have a significant impact on the school performance of a child.  Children who experience starvation often have developmental problems, such as language-based learning differences. These disabilities are challenging on their own, but combined with the inability to concentrate, it is nearly impossible to learn.  It is very difficult for children to maintain concentration in class when all they can think about is how hungry they are and where their next meal may or may not be coming from.  B vitamins, especially B6, B9, and B12, are needed to focus, but malnourished children do not have access to these essential vitamins on a daily basis. Hunger also leads to low blood sugar, which causes children to have low energy levels and fatigue throughout the day.  Hungry children with weakened immune systems have many missed days of school due to repeated illnesses. This results in them being unable to keep up with their school work. Therefore, these students are much more likely to repeat a grade.

Sela Ward, an American actress, said, “In this country that grows more food than any other nation on this earth, it is unthinkable that any child should go hungry.”  It is difficult to imagine that one in six children in our country are facing hunger every day, but it is a fact. Hunger is a significant issue because it is harmful to a child’s  physical health, mental health, and success at school and at home. Chronic hunger undoubtedly impacts every aspect of a child’s life.  

Sources:

feedingamerica.org/hunger-blog/help-kids-facing-hunger-this
nokidhungry.org/who-we-are/hunger-facts
childrenincorporated.org/facts-about-child-hunger-and-poverty/
bettermind.com/articles/factors-that-affect-focus-and-concentration
dw.com/en/how-the-body-copes-with-hunger/a-15478749
theriseandshine.com/why-going-to-sleep-hungry-is-a-major-problem/
sp4k.org/blog/how-hunger-affects-school-performance