Schizophrenia, the Full Disclosure | Teen Ink

Schizophrenia, the Full Disclosure

Schizophrenia is a disease known to affect the way a person thinks acts or feels. This disease is a long term mental health issue that is characterized as a breakdown in the difference between what is going on in a person’s head and actual reality. Schizophrenia often leads to inappropriate behaviors and withdrawal from a person’s relationships with those around them. Scientists aren’t exactly sure what the cause of this disease is and while it is incurable, it is treatable.

A person with Schizophrenia may show many symptoms(although a medical diagnosis is required), such as cognitive, behavioral, psychological, mood, and speech-related problems. Behavioral issues may include aggression, social isolation, self-harm, lack of restraint and impulsiveness. Cognitive issues can be recognized as amnesia, delusion, confusion, and disorientation. Psychological issues may be as follows, depression, fear, paranoia, hearing voices, and experiencing many different kinds of delusions. Speech problems to be considered are quick or incoherent speaking. Lack of emotion, fatigue, or impaired motor skills are not uncommon when facing this disease. 

Schizophrenia is an incurable disease that often lasts a lifetime. Although schizophrenia cannot be cured, there are treatments available to those who seek medical attention. Treatment is often a lifelong process and includes many therapeutic tactics such as specialty care, psychotherapy, and different combinations of medicines. Some medications used in the treatment of this disease are antipsychotic and anti-tremor medicines. Antipsychotics are used to improve conditions or relieve some symptoms of psychiatric conditions. Anti-tremor medicines are used to help with some of the physical side effects of this disease, such as tremors and unsteadiness/shaking.

Other treatments such as therapy can be sought. Many of the therapies associated with treating this illness are support groups, cognitive therapy, family therapy, group psychotherapy, rehabilitation, psychoeducation, and behavior therapy. In a support group, a patient would be in a safe environment to share their experiences while hearing about the experiences of others. During rehabilitation therapy, a patient will work to retrain the pathways of their brain to improve mental function. Cognitive therapy is a process in which patients work to replace negative thoughts and feelings with more positive things. Psychoeducation is used to teach patients about mental health issues, educating and empowering mental health patients. Family therapy is a therapeutic technique used to help families fix issues and communicate in a more effective way. Behavior therapy is often used to help control self-harming behaviors that are associated with mental illness. While undergoing group psychotherapy, a therapist works with multiple patients at once instead of the typical one-on-one.

There are many organizations and resources that are helpful to people dealing with this disorder. Some of these organizations include the National Alliance on Mental Health, Schizophrenia and Related Disorders Alliance of America, Schizophrenia.com, and the National Institute on Mental Health. These are just a few of the many resources and organizations created to help people suffering from mental illnesses such as schizophrenia. If you or someone you love are experiencing these symptoms it may be a good idea to seek medical help, speak to your doctor or any other medical clinician.

This piece was written with the purpose of educating those interested or affected by schizophrenia.