Changing The World One Baby At A Time | Teen Ink

Changing The World One Baby At A Time

March 4, 2021
By brennaj0 BRONZE, Piedmont, Oklahoma
brennaj0 BRONZE, Piedmont, Oklahoma
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 If you could change the world with the choice of one career, what would it be? Changing the world has a different definition for every person but for a Neonatal Nurse, the definition revolves around tiny patients. Neonatal Nurses change the world, one tiny patient at a time. A Neonatal Nurse is responsible for caring for premature babies or babies that have serious health issues at birth. Neonatal nurses are also responsible for helping parents through the traumatic experience of a premature baby or a baby born with a serious health issue. Neonatal nurses have the benefits of helping save a tiny life but they also have the benefit of creating bonds with many families. As being a premature baby myself, and spending weeks in a NICU after being born, I would love to have the blessing of saving tiny lives like one Neonatal Nurse saved mine. 

A Neonatal Nurse is responsible for many things when it comes to babies and their families. Neonatal Nurses care for premature babies, sick babies, or babies dealing with birth defects. According to (“Neonatal Nurse Careers and Salary Outlook 2020 NurseJournal.org”) “NICU nurses also work intimately with moms and dads, who are going through this emotional experience with their newborn”. Not only do NICU nurses help newborn babies, but they also help offer advice, comfort, and knowledge to the parents during a difficult time. NICU nurse's primary job is to feed the babies, change diapers, check vitals, and monitor them until they are healthy enough to be sent home.  Becoming a NICU nurse is a great accomplishment and that is why dedication is required for the schooling/training that comes with it.  

To become a NICU nurse, you must first complete a large amount of schooling and training. “Aspiring nurses must first complete the requirements of becoming an RN by obtaining an associate degree, diploma or bachelor's degree from an accredited nursing program.” (“How to Become a Neonatal Nurse | Educational Requirements | CTU”) To become a NICU nurse you must first complete 4 years of college and obtain an associate degree, or a bachelor of science degree in nursing. Then you must obtain an associate degree, diploma, or bachelor’s degree from an accredited nursing program. “Learners also gain hands-on practice by participating in clinical and laboratory courses.”(“How to Become a NICU Nurse (Neonatal Nurse)| Nursejournal.org”). After you become an RN you must also complete a certain amount of hours of clinical so that you get hands-on learning experience. Aspiring NICU nurses must also complete the NCLEX exam which determines whether you get your license or not. The cost to become a NICU nurse varies from program to program, but according to (“Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP) Programs - Online & Campus || RegisteredNursing.org”) NNP tuition ranges from $700 to $1,000 and up, per credit. In addition to the large amount of schooling/training required, you must also have a large number of required skills. 

NICU nurses require many skills to do their job effectively.” If you love caring for young babies and children, are a good communicator, are reliable and have confidence in your ability to master skills”(“Neonatal Nurse Career Guide”). NICU nurses must be good problem solvers, have good communication skills, and be able to have patience with the babies and families. NICU nurses must also be kind-hearted and be able to think quickly and be able to make good decisions under pressure(“Neonatal Nurse Career Guide”). NICU nurses are under a lot of pressure when it comes to making decisions because a baby's life could depend on what you decide to do. NICU nurses may have a lot of responsibility but at the end of the day, they get well paid for the pressure they are put under on a day-to-day basis. A NICU nurse's salary varies depending on what state they are working in. The national median salary for NICU nurses in 2021 came to a large amount of $64,074 (“Neonatal Nurse Careers and Salary Outlook | 2020 NurseJournal.org”). This number can grow the more experienced and the better you are. (“Neonatal Nurse Careers and Salary Outlook | 2020 NurseJournal.org”) the Neonatal Nurse Careers and Salary Outlook provides a table that shows by the time you reach “late-career” a NICU nurse could earn up to 80k a year. The experiences of being a NICU nurse outweigh the monetary value. NICU nurses don’t only have the benefit of saving and monitoring tiny lives, but they also have the benefit of meeting, supporting, and encouraging new families and creating bonds along the way. 

NICU nurses need to be quick thinkers, kind-hearted, and problem solvers which is why I believe this would be a good fit as my career path. I also have personal experience with being in the NICU.  When I was born, had it not been for the NICU nurses I would not be alive today. I was one of those tiny little lives that NICU nurses had an impact on.  Becoming a NICU nurse takes a lot of schooling and money but in the end, it is all worth it to make a mark on so many lives. If I were to become a NICU nurse then I work very hard and set a goal to become a level IV NICU nurse. Choosing this career path would fulfill my passion to save lives, help, support, and encourage others.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Works Cited

“How to Become a Neonatal Nurse | Educational Requirements | CTU.” Www.coloradotech.edu, www.coloradotech.edu/degrees/studies/nursing/articles/how-to-become-a-neonatal-nurse.

“How to Become a NICU Nurse (Neonatal Nurse)| Nursejournal.org.” NurseJournal, 3 June 2020, nursejournal.org/careers/neonatal-nurse/how-to-become/.

“Neonatal Nurse Career Guide.” Nurse.org, 2000, nurse.org/resources/neonatal-nicu-nurse/.

“Neonatal Nurse Career Guide.” Western Governors University, 27 May 2020, www.wgu.edu/blog/neonatal-nurse-career-guide2005.html.

“Neonatal Nurse Careers and Salary Outlook | 2020 NurseJournal.org.” NurseJournal, 3 June 2020, nursejournal.org/careers/neonatal-nurse/.

“Neonatal Nurse Practitioner (NNP) Programs - Online & Campus || RegisteredNursing.org.” Www.registerednursing.org, www.registerednursing.org/nurse-practitioner/neonatal/programs/#:~:text=Program%20Cost. Accessed 17 Feb. 2021.