A Girl's Right to Education | Teen Ink

A Girl's Right to Education MAG

By sereen_yusuf BRONZE, Lahore, Other
sereen_yusuf BRONZE, Lahore, Other

The word education is defined as, “the process of imparting knowledge, skills and judgment between right and wrong.” In this day and age, education is an aspect that differentiates the success of human beings. Not only does it teach us skills and impart knowledge, it also teaches us how to live in a diverse society.

Over the past 15 years, reasonable economic growth and structural reforms have helped reduce poverty in Pakistan. However, regarding education, development outcomes remain mixed. Inequalities remain high and the record remains dismal. Almost 23 million children aged 5-16 years in Pakistan are not enrolled in schools – the world’s second highest number of out-of-school children. Illiteracy is a major issue, and geographic, socioeconomic, and gender disparities remain abominably high.

While many girls across the country are desperate to study, they are instead growing up without the education that would help them work toward a brighter future. Factors keeping girls out of school in Pakistan include the lack of schools, the poor quality of schools, prohibitive school fees, corporal punishment, and a failure to enforce compulsory education. In addition to these factors, girls are blocked from attending school by external factors including child labor, gender discrimination, child marriage, sexual harassment, and insecurity. By ninth grade, only 13% of girls are still in school. Despite these challenges, public spending on education is only about 3% of gross domestic product (GDP), much lower than other countries in the region.

Women only make up about 39% of the labor force in Pakistan. On average, women with primary education earn only 51% of what men earn in Pakistan. However, what both the government and people of this country need to realize is that educating girls helps stimulate economic growth in Pakistani communities. Increasing women’s education by just 1% would result in a 0.3% increase in economic growth. Developmental economists claim that female education will also help reduce the overflowing population of the country. Moreover, educating women is also a good way to increase their self-respect. Education also benefits a woman's (and her family’s) level of health as it enhances her awareness in regard to a healthy lifestyle.

There is much that can be done to improve the dire situation of the country. By broadening and deepening reforms, Pakistan could reach the millions of girls who currently get no schooling, thereby improving participation rates in school education at all levels. Targeted investments and programs could improve completion rates and learning levels and help educate girls around the country.

By writing this piece, I hope to raise awareness about the dismal situation regarding women's education in Pakistan. It saddens me how so many eager girls are unable to attend school and receive an education because of things such as child labor, discriminationl, child marriage and sexual harassement. I'd like to do whatever I can to help enroll for girls around the world, but espeically in Pakistan, in schools and help them learn.