Simple Pleasures of Life | Teen Ink

Simple Pleasures of Life

July 22, 2021
By Anonymous

Yesterday, my English teacher gave us an assignment, Write an article on Simple Pleasures of Life in 150-200 words. Usually, I just copy the articles off the internet, cause the topics are always so boring and depressing, like, global warming or crime rates, etc. But I liked this topic because I sort of relate to it.

But, instead of writing the article, I just wasted the entire lecture procrastinating. And when the teacher asked for the assignment, I didn't have anything to say. Most of the class hadn't done the assignment, but I felt particularly bad, cause I really wanted to do the assignment, but I just couldn't because anxiety is a real thing. And then the monitor of our class handed in her assignment with a smug look on her face. And I could tell that this smug look was meant for me. Even the teacher began to give her usual snide remarks. 

And that set me off! I just logged off from the class, took a deep breath and got to work. I did the entire article in 30 mins. But I just couldn't send it in, because self-doubt is also a real thing. Also, cause I'm shy and didn't want to cause a scene. So, here's my assignment: 


                                                     

                                                 Simple Pleasure of Life 
                                                         - By Adi 

There existed a time when man lived a simple life. There were no existing pressure or stress on people. Even without any modern technology or means of great convenience at their hands, people used to live a comfortable and happy life. With the development our society, people’s wants have increased and they began running in an infinite race with no end. In such a fast-paced life, people have forgot how to enjoy their life without materialistic needs. They have forgotten the simpler pleasure derived from smaller, routine things.

Simple things like a conversation with one’s family, sitting under a tree, reading a good book, playing with dogs, learning their favorite instrument, and just simply breathing in fresh air, are no longer of much importance to people. We have forgotten the great pleasure and satisfaction we derive from doing the simplest of things. But these actions are very advantageous for us. It helps us to slow down and re-connect with our surroundings and the beautiful nature around us. Such simple things are an excuse to spend time with out loved ones and form an ever-lasting bond with them. It helps man to create precious memories which gives his life meaning.

These simpler pleasures of life refresh us and give us a sense of calm and peace during stressful situations in our life. They help us to survive in any situation by giving us mental strength and increasing our will power which helps us to achieve anything we want. We may think that these pleasures are a waste of time or do not carry much importance, but it is only these simple pleasures of life that actually give our life meaning and makes it worth living.


The author's comments:

Its probably not my greatest work, but what does that matter? Its mine. Thats enough for me.