Everything You Need To Know About Astrology | Teen Ink

Everything You Need To Know About Astrology

May 4, 2022
By Avacadothxs BRONZE, Nederland, Colorado
Avacadothxs BRONZE, Nederland, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In this essay, you will learn about how astrology started and what it has become. Astrology began in the 3rd millennium BCE, and evolved with one of the first astrologers, the Babylonians. During the 1960’s and 70’s astrology made a worldwide comeback for the younger audience and some of the middle aged audience as well. Ever since global warming has gotten worse, and especially in the 21st century, stars and the night sky aren't fully visible. Phones and computers are everywhere and with social media usage sky-rocketing, people have looked into their Horoscopes and Zodiac signs. With all the new astrology apps out there, people gravitate towards finding out more about themselves. Astrology is a tool for self discovery, but isn’t necessarily accurate. Astrology began thousands of years ago based on star movement, and in this century a younger audience has become more involved with Astrology and Zodiac signs.


Humanity today has made it harder to see the stars with the naked eye, because of the lights, pollution, and the way people live now. According to the International Dark Sky Association, 99% of the United States and Europe have never seen a real night sky due to light pollution. “When you think about astrology, you have to think about what life was like before electric light”  (The New Yorker). In the 3rd millennium BCE the first signs of Astrology became intriguing to one of the first early Astrologers, the Babylonians. It all started in the movement of the stars; early astrologers noticed that the days and months would change depending on how the stars moved. According to Nicholas Campion in the article Astrology in Ancient Greek and Roman Culture, “The planets were influences or causes of events on Earth; in others, they were timing devices, which indicated the ebb and flow of human affairs, like the hands on a modern clock, but without exerting any causal influence” (Oxford). In other words, the planets and astrology were a big part of finding out what was going to happen in the near future. Hundreds of years later the Zodiac signs evolved; the 12 signs were charted by the Babylonians in about 450 BCE. Most pre-modern cultures used astrology like the Greeks, Romans, and the Babylonians. As astrology was an important part of peoples' cultures thousands of years ago, it has also become an important part of people's lives in the 21st century. 


This century has brought a younger audience to become more interested in astrology. Most people know at least a little bit about their zodiac sign. In the 1960’s and 70’s astrology started to be more popularized in news articles, movies and magazines. It is also a way of feeling connected to other people. Astrology is very powerful in the way of feeling like you belong amongst your fellow peers, for example; people would relate themselves to others and their idols. When using astrology you might find out what your life and future have in store for you. It can help some people feel like they are in more control of their lives or explain why or when certain events or feelings happen. This can help people feel less stressed out. Some people have even said that they used the study of astrology to help with anxiety, coping with stress, and past traumatic events. Even though there is no scientific evidence to support this, many people practice astrology everyday when they check their horoscopes in magazines or on phone apps. People have been taking Zodiac signs and making them into everything. If you look at Tiktok, Instagram, Twitter, and so many others, you will see how people have made zodiac signs into clothing, aesthetics, food, and even types of cats. 


Astrology and zodiacs have become popularized and more involved with social media. In the New Yorker article Astrology in the Age of Uncertainty they explain how astrology has been made into a more important tool for this century, arguing that “Astrology apps and social media pages have lifted astrology and made it a bigger thing.”  The top astrology app out there is Astrology Zone–the founder Susan Miller is a word-renowned astrologer–with a 4.7 star rating on the app store. Coming from the founders Banu Guler, Ben Weitzmen, and Anna Kopp, the astrology app Co-star has at least more than 5.3 million users and is one of the most talked about astrology apps. In last place, The Pattern is the best app for building relationships and seeing how the shift of star movement can affect the ebb and flow of both partner and friend relationships. Guler says in an interview, “It’s not, like, ‘Go sit and journal and write four sentences about the world you wish to see,’ ” [Guler] said, leaning across the table. “It’s, like, ‘Go take a [f---ing] cold shower.’ ” (The New Yorker). In other words she is saying, astrology shouldn’t be a magical and fun hobby, it's a hobby that is meant for you to dig deep into the depth of yourself.  When looking at astrology apps today you can see how they have become an important part in modern culture and will be used for years to come. 


       Astrology is one of the best tools for self discovery, but sometimes it isn’t accurate. When astrology began thousands of years ago, it started with star movement. Now, teens and young adults have turned to astrology for answers and the meaning of astrology. Looking into the media, astrology is in almost all social media influencer’s accounts. Astrology is a significant part of the 21st century and is unlikely to lose its popularity soon. In the future, technology might make astrology an important daily practice. It is used to guide people with their lives, help them make decisions with what to do with themselves, and to learn what the meaning of life has become. 


The author's comments:

I love astrology personally! This essay was fun to write, and it was really cool to learn more about astrology in my research.