Dr. Seuss Monologue | Teen Ink

Dr. Seuss Monologue

Hello, my name is Theodor Geisel but you may know me as Dr. Seuss.  I was born on March 2nd, 1904 to Henrietta and Theodor Geisel in Massachusetts, USA.  I had an older sister named Margaretta.  As a boy I was so quiet then when my boy scout troop came to see the president he didn’t even notice me.  I only felt safe when I was at the zoo.  When I came home I liked to draw pictures of the animals on my wall but they never came out right.  I went to Dartmouth College where I met my future wife Helen Palmer.  At Dartmouth I was voted least likely to succeed.  The only thing I liked about Dartmouth was drawing pictures for our school humor magazine Jack-O-Lantern.  I was kicked out of Dartmouth for having a bottle of gin.  I spent the rest of college at Oxford which I found boring.  After college I moved to New York and got a job at Judge Magazine this gave me enough money to marry Helen. When Judge Magazine closed I started working at FLIT and made the famous Quick Henry the Flit ads.  My dream was to write a children’s book.  I went to eleven publishers before I found someone who wanted to publish my book.  My first book And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street had no moral which made it unpopular but I didn’t give up.  When I wrote Horton Hatches an Egg I became quite famous.  I took a break from writing to serve in World War II.  Once I returned home from the war I started what is know as my golden age. These books included Thidwick the Big Hearted Moose and Horton Hears a Who   During this time I published my first beginner book The Cat in The Hat.  I also became the president of Beginner Books.  I wrote one of my most popular works The places You Will Go soon after Helen’s death.  I soon remarried Audrey Geisel.  I wrote The Lorax which I referred to as “My most meaningful story ever”. In 1984 I was the first  children’s author to win the Pulitzer Prize. On September 24th, 1991 in La Jolla California I died of oral cancer.  I am proud to say that I started millions of children on the road to becoming avid readers.

I wrote this in 5th grade. It is very rosey-eyed in itś depiction of Seuss but I feel that there is still a purely informative quality that the article posseses.