Mentoring brings change | Teen Ink

Mentoring brings change

By bhosid SILVER, Fremont, California
bhosid SILVER, Fremont, California

The perception of prisoners to recidivate is simply a mere effect of what society has
pondered as a definition of imprisonment. Within three years of release, two-thirds of the
offenders are re-incarcerated. The purpose of prison is defeated with increasing rates of
involvement in crimes, or what is commonly known as recidivism, along with rising numbers
in unemployment. Often, there is lack of support, despite numerous prison programs, only a
handful take it to proper advantage. In response to this, one strategy designed to reduce
recidivism is through mentoring. As a matter of fact, mentoring has shown to bring a
substitute in the lives of inmates through mental training and readiness preparation for
re-entry into society. Taking into account the positive impacts on recidivism rates, mentoring
can be one step towards prison reform. Thus, all incarcerated mates should be assigned a
mentor to reduce risk of recidivism and guide them out of corrections.

The rate of recidivism has declined significantly when inmates are matched with a
mentor that promotes a relationship serving to provide self-esteem, encouragement, and
confidence needed to lead a successful life. A recent study conducted by the Idaho
Department of Corrections on its Free2Succed mentor program shows notable statistics on
the effect of recidivism as the need for mentors increases. The study revealed that, “... in
2017, the state recidivism rate for inmates matched with a mentor was about 4 percent.” This
rate drastically decreased from the previously recorded 34 percent (Prentice). Mentoring
prepares inmates for what is considered as a difficult reentry process, especially by preparing
them to return to the world that shaped their offending behavior. Importantly, mentors
revive moral values such as forgiveness. Learning to forgive themselves requires admitting
their wrongs to the people involved and accepting the consequences of their behavior. Thus,
mentoring alters the mentality from returning to former ways of crime as it reveals an
unprecedented way of life.

Additionally, a study conducted by the Minnesota Department of
Corrections has shown profound impacts mentors have on recidivism rates, the results
revealed that any inmate assigned with a mentor “reduces the risk of reconviction by 29%...
visits from relatives have a lower, but positive impact” (Minnesota Department of
Corrections). Mentors serve as personal advocates for inmates ensuring proper resources are
approachable; they focus on intellectual needs helping them gain self-esteem and
confidence through their positive influence, thus, making them mentally stronger and
prepared for the re-entry process, especially for those whose prison sentence is longer. They
spend their time with desperation and hopelessness. The birth of a strong relationship that is
formed with a non-criminogenic other who facilitates the inmate’s resources and services
provides support and prevents further involvement in crimes, thus, leading to a decline in
recidivism. To summarize, the mentor-mentee relationship is unique to each inmate which
can be accounted to reduce the risk of recidivism, therefore, establishing positive influence
on the inmate by mentally preparing them for the reintegration process.

Establishing mentors within prisons demonstrates not only a decrease in recidivism
rates, but also fosters the growth of inmates after being released into the world allowing
themselves entitled to quality jobs, housing and support. A study conducted by Trusted
Mentors, a mentoring program introduced in Indianapolis, has shown to keep 95% in helping
inmates remain housed (Trusted Mentors). Many former inmates leave prison with poor
education, employment barriers, and other obstacles affecting their likelihood of criminal
behaviour. Mentors redirect inmates to conventional societal institutions and resources that
help navigate through the reentry process . Moreover, mentors assist inmates to develop a
reentry plan and encourage them to follow it; they not only change their mentality to avoid
recidivation, but also find a way to convert any anger and desperation into motivation and
determination. Thus, mentors are the cornerstone in motivating and aiding inmates to find
work. Furthermore, Ready4work, a mentoring program developed by the US department of
Labor has shown that 56 percent of its inmates were successful in finding jobs, and 35
percent less likely to recidivate. The correct implementation and evaluation of mentoring
programs have shown improving conditions of inmates in terms of recidivism rate,
employment and housing. The recidivism rates are correlated with the rates of finding
employment and housing during post-release years. Mentors not only influence mental
behavior and thinking, but also give them the compassion to relive life again, and make the
most of their post-release years. To sum up, mentoring provides not only a decline in
recidivism, but also addresses individual growth of inmates to successfully finance their life
by finding employment.

Opposing views might say: mentoring programs don’t halt criminal behavior. And,
reintegration of inmates into society is harmful and dangerous, as they can’t be trusted to
recommerce in jobs. However, their perspective fails to recognize that mentoring works as a
way to revive inmates with the sense of a fresh start. With strict restrictions on jobs,
unemployment rates rise, this in return leads to involvement in crimes in the future. To break
this cycle, inmates must be integrated with acceptance rather than refusal in retaining jobs.

Limiting the opportunities of inmates as they are released into the world to a point
where finding employment becomes very difficult encourages further involvement in crimes.
A more ratified view must be used to incorporate these people into society. It not only
benefits their growth individually, but with the addition of thousands, there is more labor
force in the economy, creating a stronger commerce, which helps the nation together as a
whole. Mentoring programs that sought to improve the conditions of inmates as they are
released allows for better opportunities at finding jobs, which in turn, adds up labor force to
the economy. Overall, the number of taxpayers would increase, adding to the government's
funds.