Overcoming Complacency in Paulo Coehlo's | Teen Ink

Overcoming Complacency in Paulo Coehlo's

By ENikki GOLD, Germantown, Maryland
ENikki GOLD, Germantown, Maryland

Let answers find you.

It's easy for people to stay in their comfort zones; they’re very reluctant to change their routines to fulfill their dreams. In Paulo Coelho's “The Alchemist”, the author displays this tendency during his main character’s journey to his dream. Therefore, “The Alchemist” presents the theme of complacency with the use of three turning points in the plot.

Complacency occurs in the beginning after Santiago, a shepherd, dreams twice about buried treasure in Egypt. This, alongside curiosity, makes him consider finding the treasure, but he’s hesitant to take initiative because “a shepherd may like to travel, but he should never forget about his sheep” (Coelho). He can travel, but his supposed responsibilities restrict him from his dream. This is an example of having to overcome complacency because he is satisfied with his life as a shepherd and doesn’t want a more fulfilling work. In the end, he starts his “hero’s journey” to the port city of Tangier, where he will face his next trial.

Next, the theme appears in the middle of the story when Santiago, after being robbed, works for an old crystal merchant. This time, it’s not Santiago who is completely hesitant about his own dream, but the merchant whom he must learn from. The latter states “‘[He’s] doing much better... Why ask more out of life’” (Coelho). The merchant is grateful his business is thriving again, but is only content with that. This is a display of complacency because, even though the merchant is satisfied with how his quality of life has improved, he doesn’t want to enrich his life further with more change. Ultimately, Santiago will continue his journey to Egypt where he will chase his dream, as well as face one last obstacle to his resolve. 

Finally, complacency is present after Santiago has arrived at an Oasis where he will meet the love of his life Fatima, which tempts him to end the trip and settle down with Fatima at the Oasis. When he meets the Alchemist, he’s told “... what kept [Santiago] at the oasis was [his] own fear that [he] might never come back” (Coelho). Santiago fears he’ll lose Fatima and a successful life there. This is an example of the theme because Santiago is eager to quickly settle down into a very ideal situation instead of achieving his dream. In the end, after Fatima encourages him to achieve his dream for his own sake, he sets out to finish what he started. It took three crucial events to overcome complacency.

Paulo Coelho’s impactful story “The Alchemist” explains the theme of complacency with the character Santiago, who learns to never sacrifice his dreams for the sake of a comfortable situation. He finds the treasure after a long journey that has granted him an additional gift of leading him to his partner, who encourages his goal. His experience serves to teach that to have a fulfilling life, one must not let comfort hinder them from achieving their dreams.

I read The Alchemist without an English class telling me to. My mother had read Coehlo's books when I was little. There were some that were appropriate for my age by the time I reached middle school. When I read The Alchemist, I became engrossed with the philosophy and the concept of our "personal legend" - Coehlo's interpretation of the abstract concept of an existential purpose.