Why We Need to Have a New Phone Policy at Tumwata Middle School | Teen Ink

Why We Need to Have a New Phone Policy at Tumwata Middle School

April 11, 2024
By a_guy_named_bob BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon
a_guy_named_bob BRONZE, Oregon City, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever sat down at lunch and taken your phone out to check the time and a teacher makes you put it away? Well, I have, sometimes during class, I need to check the time and I take my phone out to check the time then my teacher tells me I shouldn't have it out and it gets annoying. While it's true that people were glued to their phones and used them during the wrong times last year, we should change the current electronic policy and bring back phones to our school.  Some ways we should be allowed to use them are in class as a reward, during lunch, and during passing time. One reason I think we would benefit from a new electronic policy is if you need to contact parents or text people.

During lunch have you ever wanted to text a parent and the teachers said you couldn't? Tumwata Middle School should change the phone policy when everyone is eating, it would be a good time for people to use them. If someone needed to text a parent, exchange a phone number, or even just play for a bit, people would need a phone. While in the lunch line, it is boring and lame, but having your phone would give you something to do while waiting for your food. Once people are done eating or have spent more than five minutes on it they should head outside and play games with their friends. If people were to be able to use their phones they should be limited to not very long and make sure that they can still have time outside. Besides, lunch is meant to be a free time for students to hang out and chill with friends, not being able to use phones can limit how they do that if they are not physically active all the time.

During passing time is one where currently, I'm surprised that we can't use them. One reason why we should be able to use them is if we need to talk to parents. Sometimes I want to text my parents during the day and I can't because of the current policy. That Is just one more of the many reasons why we should change the phone policy at Tumwata Middle School. Another thing people say is that people can't get to class fast enough, but getting to class is easy. If you get close enough, you still have the one-minute bell to ensure you are on time. Besides, people deserve to use them during that, since it's one of the only places where you can talk to friends and chill with them. One bad thing about using phones during passing time is that people might walk through the halls glued to their phones. This should not be allowed to happen. One way we could prevent this is having a limit in the hall with teachers watching if students use them too much.

The last place we should be able to use them is in class, if your teacher lets you. If you finish work early and your teacher lets you play games on your Chromebook you should also be allowed to use your phone. If you need to check the time you should be able to check, teachers say to look at the clock, sometimes it's wrong or hard to read. If the phone policy was changed and let us look at our phones for a second,  then these problems would be fixed. Another reason is if you need to text your parents during class, your teacher already lets you if you ask them and they allow it, but if they do not and it's an emergency you should be able to. I will not be sure of the exact time when looking at a clock, having a phone, and just pulling it out to look at the time, without getting in trouble would be nice. If someone wants to text their parents they have to ask a teacher which is good, but I believe if you want to text your parents quickly it should be fine. When you go to the bathroom you have to leave your phone in the classroom so you don't stay in the bathroom all day, which is good. I like this idea a lot and it is one idea you should keep.

The reason we have this current phone policy is because last year everyone would be on their phones everywhere. Most of the time if you looked at a kid they were on the phone, and if they weren't they didn't have one. So the teachers decided to ban phones at school with the new policy, and while yes this worked I believe that Tumwata Middle School would benefit even more than the current solution and that the teachers made the wrong decision. I believe that my idea for a new phone policy would work better than the current one and would make the kids happier and have them make sure they aren't on their phones all the time as well.

In conclusion, I believe that our current phone policy could be drastically improved. I believe that we could talk to parents, play games, look things up, and have fun. I believe that my version of the phone policy will be able to relax students while at the same time not having them be on it all day long. We should be able to use our phones during passing time, lunch, and if your teacher lets you, in the classroom. The current phone policy is good, but I know mine would be even better.


The author's comments:

I belive that my school TMS should have a new phone policy. I made this for an assignment in My language arts class about an argumentative essay.