The War Begins | Teen Ink

The War Begins

By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York

I know nothing, but of miracles.

The Civil War had had ignited from a number of controversial and inflammable issues, such as the rising sectional difference, the abolitionist movement, John Brown’s attacks and hanging, etc. Initially in the war, both the North and the South had generous numbers of volunteers enlisting for the army, due to the prevalent sense of American patriotism, though the North had far more major advantage compared to the South. As to their weaponry, which, since the North was an Industrialized center, was able in well-functioning quantity as opposed to the South who was heavily dependent on slave labor and manufacture. Furthermore, the North had a better advantage with supply productivity (helped by industrialism and railroads), able to send troops in the field warfare provisions, such as food, water, medicine, and clothing at a faster rate than the South had. Also, the U.S. Northern Navy managed to blockades any southern allies from entering the United States. Differences in presidential leadership helped contribute to the leading North, as Northern President Lincoln was both a symbolic and political charismatic leader able to gain widespread support, while his Southern counterpart Jefferson Davis, with his alienated Cabinet and strict self-governing, divided himself and his states. In conclusion, the “Confederacy was unable to mobilize the resources- financial, human, and otherwise- that might have prevented its destruction by northern armies”- Out of Many, 3rd edition.

H.W. # 40: “The war begins” Read pages ?450-459 (to “The Fighting...”) Evaluate the
statement: “The North had already won the Civil War before the first shot was fired.”