The Soundtrack of My Life | Teen Ink

The Soundtrack of My Life

April 3, 2018
By Tamyka BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
Tamyka BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Music is an interesting aspect of human lives because it is present in all activities. It has been used in joyful ceremonies as well as sorrowful ones, in wars, and everyday objects such as ringtones. Music started as being the sound of daily chores then gradually evolved into its modern form. Music is influential because it is a great way to communicate ideas. Various early civilizations, as well as modern countries, use music as a way to communicate within its community or outside of the community. Music also has teaching benefits. Some schools teach the material to the students through songs to enable the children to remember the information. Music has been one of the most important aspects of my life since an early age through various songs because it has offered me the opportunity to create a lot of memories with my family and friends.


My childhood was enriched by beautiful songs such as “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” and “Waka Waka”. “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” is an enjoyable song written by Mack David and Jerry Livingston in which they wrote the lyrics, “The dream that you wish will come true,” which explains that wishes and dreams are able to become a reality. This song, at a very young age, gave me the reassurance that no matter what I dreamed of or wished had the potential of becoming true. With this new realization, I was able to set aspiring goals for my future that I slowly achieved. Another song that greatly influenced my childhood was “Waka Waka” by Shakira in which she sang the lyrics, “Pick yourself up and dust yourself off and back in the saddle,” that explains that someone should always rise above their obstacles. This song is very important to me because it gave me the courage to achieve small important goals such as getting good grades and making new friends. This song also helped me overcome the shyness that was a huge burden for me in my childhood years. These two songs, “A Wish Is a Dream Your Heart Makes” and “Waka Waka”, had a great influence on my childhood that made my early years some of my most cherished years.


Similarly to my childhood, my teenage years were also influenced by pleasant songs such as “Winter” and “Hallelujah”. “Winter” is a classical piece composed by Antonio Vivaldi in which one can enjoy the sound of the violin playing short and long notes alike under a fast tempo. This song has strongly impacted my life because every time I hear it, it reminds me of winter in which I spend time with my family. This song is also my favorite violin piece because as a classical violinist, I am able to hear the various techniques displayed in the piece. In addition to “Winter”, “Hallelujah” is a classical piece composed by George Handel in which the choir sings, “And He shall reign forever and ever,” which shows God’s reign length and power. This song is important to me for the reason that I played this piece every Christmas in the last six years, and it reminds me of the fun that I continue to have with my orchestra. It also reminds me of Christmas which is my favorite time of the year in which I spend a lot of time with family and friends. Just like my childhood, my teenage years are influenced by music that can be summarized in “Winter” and “Hallelujah.”


Many memories in the company of family and friends were created with the help of music which has been an important part of my life since an early age. My childhood songs “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” and “Waka Waka” set an interesting path for my future by enabling me to believe in my dreams and give me the courage to pursue them. In a similar way, my early teenage life is enhanced by songs such as “Winter” and “Hallelujah” because they both remind me of my family. The future songs that will influence my life will probably be encouraging songs because completing high school and starting college brings a lot of hardships. Then, it might be more uplifting because life after college can be difficult. Music affects the lives of many people and mine since it is present in multiple daily activities.