Is Gaming Really That Bad? | Teen Ink

Is Gaming Really That Bad?

By BFrankie SILVER, Tirana, Other
BFrankie SILVER, Tirana, Other

"I don't have one" - Me

We all have those parents or guardians who are always telling us how videogames are evil and how they influence violence and bad habits in real life. And yes, really long video game sessions can be very bad for you. On the other hand, casual and short gaming breaks can have many mental benefits for you. From improving memory and mind, to reducing stress and helping depression, scientists have proven that video games aren’t going to “fry your brain.”
The most obvious mental improvement is your memory. Complex puzzle and open-world games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild are great examples of this. In dungeons, you have to connect points, find solutions and if nothing works, you try to find the problem. While in the open world, you explore and keep track of side quests. Surprisingly, puzzle games aren’t the only one who can improve your memory. According Dalton Cooper, a study found that playing larger complex games like Super Mario 3D have a greater benefit on memory than smaller, more bite sized games like Angry Birds. It shows basically any type of modern day AAA game (high budget game usually made by a big company) can help with memory and mind.

Speaking of mind...

Many platformer and adventure games have shown improvement in brain size and helps cure mental diseases. A 2014 study conducted by the Max Planck Institute in Germany found that games like Super Mario 64 can increase size in some regions of the brain. Your brain can mature faster just through playing Mario. There’s even more evidence. Researchers have found that those that play video games, show improved cognitive functioning when compared to those that don’t, and that playing video games may even increase brain matter. Not only that but gaming also helps in some learning disabilities. A 2013 study published in Cell investigated the effect that playing action games, like Rayman Raving Rabbids, could help dyslexic children aged 7 to 13 years old read faster, with no loss in accuracy. A lot more information is scattered around the Internet. The amount of benefits can be written down in an entire book.

In addition, video games can help with stress and depression. They aren’t as stressful as people think. A study done by East Carolina University suggests that playing 30 minutes of video games per day can treat anxiety and depression at a level that rivals prescription medication. Out of all the genres, puzzle games in particular have shown an ability to alleviate symptoms of anxiety and depression. It’s amazing how effective games are to such serious problems. Just coming home from school and starting up your game console can really help. Christopher J. Ferguson, chair of psychology and communication department at Texas A&M International University, says: “Yes, video games can cause stress, but the good kind. The kind you feel when you’re facing an exciting challenge or playing sports, or reading a book that’s so good you can’t put it down.” In general, Ferguson’s research shows that video games help reduce people’s overall stress levels. It doesn’t matter if they’re violent or not, though he does emphasize that individual experiences may vary. It really depends on the player, not the game (most of the time).

As for personal experiences, I have many. I got my first video game console when I was 7. Even before that, I remember playing on my family’s old pc. Whenever I was down or really tired from school, I would always open up my Nintendo DS and play. Even to this day, gaming is part of my everyday life. Whenever our family has a really long road trip, I grab my Nintendo Switch or Nintendo 3DS with me. It’s amazing how games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf or The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time can pass time.  

In conclusion, video games have many health benefits for playing them. They can help with memory, mental diseases, stress and depression. People only focus on the “bad” parts of games, but they never realize how important they are to today’s society. Still, don’t go playing while skipping family time, studying and physical activity. They are all just as important.

Many people from older generations don't really consider the benefits of video games. I'm here to talk about that.