Cobblestone | Teen Ink

Cobblestone

January 3, 2019
By Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a convention, Claire and I rushed out of the classroom to the cafeteria after the fourth bell rang.  It was sure enough that there was not any student there yet when we got there.

    “ What you gonna pick today?” I stared at the menu and asked.

    “ How about noodles. I want the sausage one.”

The cafeteria was full of people when we found the seat. The long line extended over. We sat down at the table close to the window. Claire was counting on the luck that we got here early. Crowded cafeteria, noodles that we will never get bored, and the same seat near the window, except for climate change, all of these reveal the sterile school life.

    Claire gave an affected dry cough.

    “ What ?” I looked up.

    “ I don’t think I should be here for the next few minutes. You guys have fun.”

Not even waiting for me to react, she’s already got up. Jay sat next to me. I looked at him without saying anything. I don’t quite remember how I acted exactly at that time, but I was definitely smiling. I did this every time when I saw him. He was staying with me quietly until I finished eating.

    “Give me your hands. I got something for you.”

    “What is that?”

    “Give me then you know it.”

He pulled it up from his pocket mysteriously, held in hand and put on my palm carefully. It was a cobblestone. A white cobblestone. A tiny elliptic cobblestone. There were glittering particles on its surface which make it shine under the light. It still looked pretty even though there was a hole in the back of it. I think he might hold it in his hand for a long time because the cobblestone was warm.


    “It’s a gift for you.”

“Why do you give me a stone?”

     “Nothing. I just saw it pretty.”

I turned my face and stopped asking, but I could literally feel the sweetness spilled from the bottom of the heart. I looked in his eyes. He didn’t look back.


Later I was telling my friends in the class that Jay gave me a cobblestone. They didn’t understand why did he give a stone and why I was so happy because of the stone. I think this is the greatest gift as it came out to my mind as soon as I saw this topic. “Why do I like it? ” I asked myself. It took time for me to figure it out. It was nothing that may be picked from the ground, but the person who picked it up is so cute. He thought it was pretty, so he gave it to me. In his mind, I was the one who worth this pretty stone.

The weather was nice on that day. The stone was glittering on my palm. He was under the sunshine and his eyelashes were shining too. My world was frozen and the bland school life was dyed colorful at that moment. I felt like there were a lot of pink bubbles around me in the air. What I like most actually is not the gift itself, is the relationship, the person who gave the gift, the pink bubbles around me and the feeling that someone keep me in the heart.