My Mom | Teen Ink

My Mom

By jaciwinchell SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
jaciwinchell SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“Defense wins championships.” A saying from a very significant person in my life that has influenced me. That person happens to be my mom. Playing defense is a very important thing and in order to win a game, I need to have it. This saying has influenced me because, before every basketball and volleyball game, I think about it. I need to perform my job well enough to win a game. If any of my teammates and I become lazy or we are not getting to the right spot to defend when it is needed, we might not ever win a game. Don’t get me wrong, we love to win! But if we can’t do our jobs, we won’t be winning any games. The person who has influenced my life in a very significant way is my mom. She is one of the best supporters, teachers, and also coach.

My mom is one of many of my biggest supporters. She is always there watching and cheering me on as I compete at my sporting events. Taking videos, pictures, and Snapchats of me. I do really enjoy when she does that. I can then watch or look at them and try to correct the things that I did not do so well on and also see the things I am doing well at. She never wants to miss a game or meet. If she does have something come up and is not able to make it, she always apologizes for it. My mom is also a great supporter when it comes to school. If I am having any troubles or a hard time, she is always there to help me. She helps me study, asking me questions or even it is myself asking her some. She gives me tips and points so I can make whatever it is that I am doing or working on, even better. My mom is always there for me and supports me all of the time but, that is not the only reason she is significant to me.

My mom is also a teacher. She is currently teaching up in Eagan as a fourth-grade teacher. This is her first year teaching there and so far she is loving it! Ever since I was a little kid, I have always wanted to be a teacher when I grow up. When I was in Elementary school, my mom taught in 3 different positions in Cannon Falls that included, fourth grade, second grade, and a Response to Interventions specialist. Every day I would go to work with my mom. I would sit in her classroom or even help out with whatever she needed to get done. When the bell rang, I would go to my classroom for the rest of the day, until the bell rang for the second time. Once the second bell rang and school was over, I would return to my mom’s classroom and hang around until it was time to go home. Her ability to teach others, including myself, is amazing. I have learned so much from her and I know others have too. My mom has shown me how to be strong, creative, open-minded, and considerate. My mom being a teacher, has definitely influenced me to want to be one as well.

My mom is also a coach. She has been coaching other athletes ever since she got out of college but, has been coaching me since I was in third grade. It was an amazing privilege to have my mom as my coach in basketball and volleyball when I was younger. She is still coaching me in volleyball to this day and I am so grateful. She has formed me into the athlete I am today and she did a great job. My mom is never afraid to give me honest feedback. I really like getting feedback, whether it is positive or negative because I can then know things I am doing well at or the things that I need to work on. She can tell when I am not playing my best game or when I don’t have the best attitude on the court. She will then ask me later why I wasn’t playing the greatest or why I was in a bad mood. My mom being a former and current coach for me is significant because I know she cares about me and always wants and pushes me to do my very best.

As a supporter, teacher, and coach, that is what makes my mom super significant to me. She is one of the biggest supporters, one of the best teachers, and a very encouraging coach. Supporting me in everything I do, teaching me new things every single day, and coaching me to be an outstanding athlete. She never gives up when there is something hard to accomplish. Her love for me and everything that I do is wonderful. I can’t imagine my life without her. She has told me some very important sayings, including one that I will never forget to think about before the start of a basketball or volleyball game. I also will never forget the way she dances on the cold, slippery tile floor when she comes home from work or her confidence in working out every morning. Her ability to be this strong, dedicated woman she is today, has taught me so much. I am very proud to say that I am her daughter and someday I would like to become a person just as cool as her.