Never Give Up | Teen Ink

Never Give Up

By Stephanie Saladino BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana
Stephanie Saladino BRONZE, Kenner, Louisiana

Although I have experienced many significant events in my lifetime, such as Hurricane Katrina, there is one that has, in particular, made me who I am today.

In 2007, I attended the World’s Cheerleading Championships in Orlando, Florida, with my all-star cheerleading team, Tiger Elite All-Stars. Upon receiving this invitation to attend Worlds, I was very excited, but I had not yet realized that this one competition would contribute to my character and personality. Once there, I had met many people from around the world, including from countries such as China, Mexico, Puerto Rico, England, Australia, and New Zealand. Meeting athletes from all these different countries made me realize one thing: although we may have different beliefs and cultures, we all have one thing in common that we love doing, cheerleading.

Furthermore, I am very grateful to have attended such an awesome opportunity and consider myself very lucky because not many cheerleaders get the opportunity to attend such a remarkable event as Worlds. This experience has truly made me the person I am today. From teaching me to be grateful, to being open to other cultures, and to go for my dreams, attending Worlds has helped build my character. The event taught me many of life’s valuable lessons at a young age that are useful now and will be in the future. I could not be more thankful for the opportunity to attend such an eye-opening experience.

Aside from the hairspray and glitter, I think it is safe to say that cheerleading has made me the person I am today by teaching be to never give up and to always pursue my dreams.