Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By Kevinp SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kevinp SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

"No"

Dear Veteran,

Thank you for your service, something that is said a lot. But I say thank you for giving your life. Risking your life in the field of combat. Choosing to serve our country instead of going to college or getting a job. And choosing to leave your comfortable, safe life behind, for our country.

My name is Kevin and I’m a junior in high school.  As I approach college I realize how much you have truly given up for us. Missing the opportunity of experiencing college moves me. I don’t know what I want to do yet but you knew that you would serve this country.

My grandfather served in World War II and died before I was born. I never had the chance to thank him for putting his life down. So I want to extend that thank you on to you. For putting your life down for us.

To me, you are more than just a veteran. You’re a hero. A hero doesn’t just do good deeds, they lay their life down for the better of everyone. And you did just that you risked it all to help out people that you don’t even know.  But you knew it was for the best to help them.

You having the opportunity to see the war memorial is very powerful. You get to see how much we really do value and appreciate every bit of service you have provided. The gratitude I have for everything you have done can’t be compared.

I’ve seen pictures of some of the living conditions in a war torn area. Looking at the pictures all I can do is think about how awful that must have been. You decided at a young age you where willing to take this sacrifice for us. But you stayed strong and persevered through all the hard times.

So all I can say is thank you for giving your life. Thank you for giving up you life for everyone you loved. Thank you for being a hero.

Sincerely,

Kevin P.