9:02 a.m | Teen Ink

9:02 a.m

December 18, 2020
By emilyc_violinist BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
emilyc_violinist BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

          A foreign melancholy clings to the air, just as a heavy darkness shrouds the vicinity. I can almost tangibly feel smoke begin to envelop my lungs. Once I reach the tree, I stop. The branches effuse a solemn history, a knowledge of the past. How could a tree, a piece of wood, have survived while so many people died? It stood firm through the deafening crack of the bomb and the shrieks of utter terror. Instantaneously sound ceases, and time refuses to go on. The longer time lingers, the more intense the shivers of death ripple up my spine and radiate onto my skin. I could be gone in an instant amidst the flashes of a violent explosion, just like the people years ago, in this very place. A disconcerting notion, yes, but the appreciation for life wells in the hearts of every single visitor gazing at the tree’s billowing branches. Death has not selfishly taken their lives yet, but soon it will, like the timer on a bomb ticking towards an inevitable horror. The history and the aura both aid in my understanding of the key lesson I am learning here: life is too short to continue wasting your time, so do not waste a single second. One second can be the difference between happiness and despair, and life and death.


The author's comments:

This is a piece about the Survivor Tree in Oklahoma City. At precisely 9:02 a.m., a bomb exploded and destroyed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. One hundred sixty-eight people died that day, and the building was almost completely destroyed. Despite all this, a tall American elm tree survived. When I was younger, I was able to see this tree in person. I was so young that I didn't fully comprehend what had happened. I knew it was something horrible when I stood in front of the memorial and stared at the vast Field of Empty Chairs. The Survivor Tree was nearby, serving as a symbol of strength and hope. I wanted to capture a deeply-rooted appreciation for life in this short piece of writing.