Biography Sketch: Amy Lee | Teen Ink

Biography Sketch: Amy Lee

August 20, 2021
By CathrynWrites SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
CathrynWrites SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
To live would be an awfully big adventure.


“Wake me up inside, call my name and save me from the dark…” Have you ever heard that line before? Chances are you’ve heard this song on the local contemporary rock radio or while watching the 2003 Daredevil movie. If so, you just got a taste of Amy Lee and her barrier-smashing, breathtaking rock band Evanescence. So what’s the story behind the frontwoman of one of the most legendary bands of the 2000s? You have to start in Riverside, California, where this soprano was born… 

Amy Lee was born on December 13, 1981 in Riverside, California. Her dad, John Lee, was a disc jockey and TV personality. Because of his job, they moved all over the USA. They lived in California, Florida and Illinois before finally settling in Arkansas. Amy was inspired at a young age to play the piano and in high school she sang in her school’s choir. 

Evanescence was born during Lee’s college years. Amy had met Ben Moody at a youth camp in Little Rock, AR. From then on they started recording songs and playing at local coffee shops and restaurants. They released a few EPs and even their 2000 demo Origin (it’s technically a debut album, but Lee insists it’s more of a demo), but they hadn’t had a “big break” yet. 

Then Wind Up Records offered to sign Evanescence on. Amy was overjoyed - until Wind Up said they wanted a male and female lead. Lee and her bandmates insisted on no, and they were almost forced to pack up and forget the offer. Then Wind Up contacted them saying that they wanted one of the group’s songs, “Brine Me to Life”, to be in the upcoming 2003 Daredevil movie, hence their insistence of a male lead on that song. So on March 4, 2003, Evanescence released their first official album, Fallen. “Bring Me to Life” was sung by Amy Lee and 12 Stones frontman Paul McCoy. Sadly, Ben Moody left the band in October 2003, due to “creative differences”. He was replaced by Terry Balsamo, former band member of the alternative rock band Cold. 

In 2006, Evanescence released The Open Door, which had a more classical feel. There was a short break after that; Amy had begun a solo career due to monotonous touring with Evanescence. In 2011, the band released another album, this one self-titled. Three years later, Evanescence was dropped by Wind Up and Lee sued the manager for sexual assault and using the Evanescence corporate credit card for his personal life. Evanescence became an independent artist and it seemed for a while that they weren’t getting back together. 

But hope was rekindled in 2016 when Evanescence released another EP called Lost Whispers. 2017 brought the album Synthesis, including “Hi-Lo”, with violinist Lindsey Stirling as a contributor. Lee also announced in 2019 that Evanescence would be releasing a new album. In January 2021, The Bitter Truth made its way to music stores and streaming services. The album was partially inspired by Lee’s younger brother Robbie’s death from epilepsy in 2018. 

Lee launched her solo career when she sang “Sally’s Song” for the re-release of Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas. She also sang Halfway Down the Stairs for the Muppets Green Album, and even contributed to We Walk the Line: A Tribute to Johnny Cash. In 2014, she released her first solo album Aftermath, a soundtrack for the independent film War Story. In 2015, she added an unexpected album to her discography - a children’s album. With contributions from her father, uncle, and sisters, she released an album with children’s songs, inspired by her son Jack. She’s also released some Led Zeppelin and U2 covers, but recently she’s been more focused on Evanescence, especially since The Bitter Truth’s release

If you’re like me when I first heard of Evanescence, you might think that Amy Lee is just another music icon, just another starstruck celebrity. But she has views, and she speaks passionately about them. She made her own fashion statement when Evanescence first went big, wearing Victorian-inspired dresses that she designed and sewed herself, and Gothic makeup.  Fans were pleased to hear that Lee was a strong advocate against skin flashing. In fact, one of Evanescence’s singles, Everybody’s Fool, shows Lee’s opinions on fake and superficial people that are known as celebrity icons. 

Amy Lee also draws from tragic life experiences to fuel her music. When she was 6, her 3-year-old sister died of an unidentified illness. Her sister’s death changed Amy so much that her mother wanted Amy to see a counselor. She channeled her grief through two songs: “Hello”, on the Fallen record, and “Like You” on the Open Door record. Her brother’s death from epilepsy in 2018 was also heartbreaking for Lee. She said Evanescence’s latest album (The Bitter Truth) was inspired by her brother’s death and another band member’s experience with losing a loved one. She is also the chairperson for “Out of the Shadows”, an organization that educates people on epilepsy. 

This passionate singer, who identifies as a born-again Christian, is someone I find fascinating. She broke through the mold in contemporary rock and remained a conservative person throughout her career. I believe she is an inspiration and role model to future singers and songwriters. 


The author's comments:

I look up to Amy Lee a lot. I have been a big fan of her music, and I can't wait to see what else she releases in the future.