Covid-19 and its Impact on the Environment- A Boon or a Bane | Teen Ink

Covid-19 and its Impact on the Environment- A Boon or a Bane

By Itsmaanya_25 PLATINUM, Indore, Other
Itsmaanya_25 PLATINUM, Indore, Other

It's Okay to have butterflies in your stomach, as long as you make them fly in formation

Tiny, invisible but extremely dangerous, the novel coronavirus commonly known as COVID-19 has shaken the world more than a 9.0 earthquake on the Richter scale. This minuscule bad boy has scored an ‘F’ for good behavior as it weakens the defense of the earthlings and changes the balance of the Earth with its naughty ways. Entering the body through the nose, eyes, or mouth, it infects people at an alarming rate. With more than 7.70M cases around the world, COVID-19 was declared the pandemic-of-the-century by the people. Although the death rate is not as crippling as that of the Ebola fever, people were advised, even forced to stay inside their homes to reduce the spread of the virus. These lockdown situations have created a sense of imprisonment in our minds more than our bodies. This unprecedented situation in present times reminds me of what I read about World War I and II in my textbooks. Though I haven’t witnessed it, the present condition has given me an unmistakably clear picture of how it would have been. People are sitting in their houses; while the resources are being depleted, the economy is going down at a rapid rate, people are going to bed without food and numerous lives are being taken away by the enemy. Amongst all this pandemonium we are waiting and waiting to hear some news about the end of this virus, to finally say ‘good riddance’ and to come out of our houses like a baby bird who just learned to fly.

The worst side of the global economy could be seen at this time as it decreased a gruesome 1% at the beginning of 2020 leaving thousands of people penniless. The once predicted growth of 2.5% was put at stake as more than 100 countries closed their national borders, stopping the import and export immediately in the wake of the deadly disease. This further led to unemployment. The rapid decline of the value of goods and services like hotels, domestic airlines, real estates, and everyday items is rather ironic: traveling around the world is more affordable, tourist attractions don’t have long and tiring queues, with so many sales, shopping will be a pleasant experience, but all this is of no use. People are frightened to step out of their houses let alone indulging in these activities. Saving their lives is of utmost importance.

However, if we ponder deeply on this situation we will realize that coronavirus has also brought some positive changes in our lives. We just need to scratch the tip of the iceberg to see a lot of good underneath it. When did busy, working parents think that they would be able to spend so much time with their family or reconnect with extended family and friends? Or people would have gotten some time to spend on themselves; learning to cook, draw, write, dance, sing, and anything they wished for.

Sitting in our homes, we all are safe and for once have the time to see, understand and contemplate the world around us. Looking outside we realize that there is one thing that is inexplicably full of the joys of spring, well, it’s literally full of the joys of spring because it’s the environment and why wouldn’t it be happy, it has waited for more than a century for this moment. What COVID-19 has done today is a dream that activists like Greta Thunberg share and hey presto! it came true. From Mother Nature finally being able to breathe in non-toxic air to swim in a plastic-free ocean, the environment has significantly improved. There has been a notable 40-50% drop in air pollution which has helped to restore back the gigantic ozone hole over Antarctica, brought back statistically 120K Red Flamingos to India, and many other critically endangered species were sighted in different parts of the world. On the other hand, reduction in water pollution has brought back the Blue Whale and many other marine species that we couldn’t have heard of before. A remarkable decrease in noise pollution can also be seen as aircrafts, communal events, and industrial activities were shut down. That’s not all. COVID-19 has helped plants and animals in innumerable ways. It has helped them produce more of their kind without any human interruption, provided them freedom, and for once made them feel that the Earth belongs to them too. With all the disastrous human activities put to a standstill, nature feels alive a second time and is not hesitating to show that. Take, for instance, Mt. Everest, the highest mountain peak in the world, unraveling its scenic body in front of all the people of Kathmandu, a place 200km far away. Such is the power of this virus that an event that had not happened in many decades could become possible for the world to discern.

Going through this pandemic, we have realized the importance of ourselves, of others around us, and also of our environment. In recent times, we have gone through many upheavals where the situation was changing by the hour. Though the situation is still not normal and it is going to take some time to become so, we are trying to live our lives in the best possible ways. We, humans, have been known to be the top rank holders for the survival of the fittest for centuries and there is no doubt that we will be able to adapt to this new situation too. We have understood that nature is extremely beautiful and is a part of us. No matter how occupied we get due to our mundane and busy schedule, we will always be reminded of not exploiting nature. Instead, we will devote some time, energy, and effort to make it better for the future.