Name | Teen Ink

Name

October 7, 2021
By ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I hear my name being called, I think of a sunflower field, happy and bright. Standing strong and tall. A pink-colored starburst. A light color, like light-colored flowers like tulips. The flat iron my mom uses every morning has one purpose: making her hair straight. Ellie has one purpose: to make the world a better place. 


In English, my name means “shining light.” It is like the number seven, the world's favorite number because of its association with the number of days per week, The Seven Dwarfs, and the seven seas. My sister's name starts with “E,” so now mine does too. My mom and dad wanted all “E” names that were not tongue twisters, were cute, and went with our last name. And just like that, my name was entered into the lottery of possible girl names.  


Ellie L. They say my name as if it's an inconvenience to them. Having more than one person with my name in their class. Calling on one Ellie, and the other Ellie answers. Having to ask which Ellie you are. It is like sharing a grilled cheese with another person, you each get half. That is what it feels like to share your name with someone. 


Ellie is two syllables, easy to pronounce, and pretty like a puppy. A sunflower with a long stem rooting out of the ground.  


I cannot change my name, nor do I wish to do so. My name creates the opportunity to write my own life story that encompasses me as a person, like a sun shining around the world. The correlation between Ellie and amiableness is like cinnamon. Strong and always willing to help those in need.