A Mind of Infinity | Teen Ink

A Mind of Infinity

By Colin-R SILVER, San Pedro, California
Colin-R SILVER, San Pedro, California

Infinity is such an interesting concept. There is no beginning, there is no end. There is only a constant stream of continuation, that will never cease, it’s end can never be found, it goes on… for infinity. When you apply it to different concepts, it can become even more interesting. Infinite money. Infinite power, infinite ideas, infinite possibilities, infinite space, the more it’s applied, the more of it there is. Let’s take an example, and examine it a little closer. If you had the power of infinity, what would it mean? There’s an infinite number of possibilities of a power to obtain, so at what point, if possible, do you complete infinity?

If you had infinite power, do you really have the power of infinity? You can only produce as much as you can think of. The human mind is physically incapable of obtaining infinity, because there is no end to it. Infinity is never-ending, therefore you can never have the power of infinity. You can only produce as much as your mind can fathom, and simply having infinite power does not necessarily mean that you have Infinite power 

Let's take the idea of having infinite ideas. You’d make for the perfect writer or show producer, but you still cannot create infinity. You can continue to think of idea after idea, but there is no end. You can only think of as much as you can think of. There is literally an infinity of ideas that could come to you, so you can never run out of ideas, but you also can’t think of every idea that exists. It’s really complicated to explain, and I feel like what I’m trying to say isn’t being conveyed quite right, so let me try this again.

Lets say, hypothetically, that you, for some reason, obtained the ability to have infinite water. Simply enough, a cup that has the ability to refill itself once it has become empty. What exactly does that mean? Well, you have a cup that replenishes its water for you. But where does the water come from, how does it end up right back into the cup like it was before? If the water is infinite, does that mean that the remnants of water in the cup multiply until the cup refills? Is the water, by some power, taken by somewhere else and transported into the cup? How does infinity have the ability to fill this cup everytime it is emptied? 

There is a reason that people now use this: ∞ as the symbol for infinity. There is no end to the shape, there is no start, and even if you identify one point of the shape as the starting point, you’ll only end up right back where you started. If you were to ask me, the best representation of infinity would be a room that is one pure color. There is no identifiable corner, there is nothing to tell you where you are. No matter how far you walk, or run, in one direction, you’ll never find a wall. You’ll never find another object other than yourself. This is the room of infinity, no end, no start, nothing other than yourself. Stuck in an expansive world of infinity. 

It’s so hard to think about infinity because there’s no easy way to describe something with no features. The only thing that explains infinity is the existence of something that will never end. Another good way to describe infinity would be time. Not the construct of time that we have created, days, hours, minutes, seconds, but the existence of the world, and the fact that it continues to change. Even after the Earth has been destroyed, after humans are gone, after our sun burns out, there will still be an expansive world that continues on. Other stars will still have planets orbiting them, other universes will continue to exist, and when one is removed, others will take its place. Even if all of the universes are gone, there will still be an expansive space that continues to exist forever. 

I get that what I’m saying still might not make much sense, I understand that infinity can be difficult to understand. But your mind… is infinity itself. It’s difficult for us to understand something that never ends, but your mind is thinking about infinite possibilities, or at least as many as you can think of. When you assess a situation, your mind thinks of every possibility that could be occurring, in terms of your mind, an infinite number of things could be happening, and you consider as many as humanly possible. As close to infinity as you can get. 

This piece was written out of nowhere, I just let my mind wander and as more thoughts came to my head, I wrote them down. My mind just kept thinking and thinking, about how crazy infinity really is, and this was the result.