Letter to Eddy | Teen Ink

Letter to Eddy

By sophiaherman33 BRONZE, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
sophiaherman33 BRONZE, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

Dear Eddy,

First off, let me say how sorry I am. You don’t even realize how terribly sorry I am. Imagine someone being super sorry, that's me but multiply it by 100,000. 

Second, I miss you a lot. You truly were one of the best things that happened to me, even if it was just for a little over a year. I remember marching up to my room at least four times a day to see you just cause. We would spend every Sunday together playing together in the kitchen for hours making sure you got your exercise. You even got to go on car rides with me to get my dinner, in addition to having sleepovers at my friends houses if you couldn’t stay at my own. I worked really hard to be able to have you and every moment of it was worth it. 

I am not sure if you remember the first day I got you, but I could never forget it.  I went to Petco just to purchase your cage, food, exercise ball, etc., but then I saw you running around on a wheel and I knew I needed you. I even fought another family off just so I could get you (your siblings were low-key ratchet). 

I got you during COVID quarantine but that was also the same night my friends and I hosted an outdoor car sleepover. Regardless of my outdoor fun, I still checked on you at least every twenty minutes. That was just the beginning of our journey together. 

We have had so many great times together and I know you might not remember most them so here are some of my favorite:

The day I got you (I paid  $12.99 for you in case you were wondering)
You running around in your ball and rolling down the stairs...multiple times (my bad) 
My sister always walking in my room with you cause you always managed to wiggle on over to her room (she didn’t like you in her room)
Hearing your cute sneezes
Hearing you climb around your cage at three am
Watching all of my friends faces light up with surprise as they met you, not knowing previously that I was actually allowed to get you
Our car rides to go pick up my food 
Our tik toks and amazing selfies
Us scaring my cats off (because they were somehow afraid of tiny you?)
The mini charcuterie boards full of cheese, fruits, and veggies I would make for you that you gobbled up in a matter of seconds 
The race car I bought for you that you would run around in 
Now those were just the happy memories but you could also be a brat sometimes, so let me tell you some bad memories:

You peeing on me (multiple times)
Having to say goodbye when I left for school breaks and vacations
When you bit me 
Whenever I tried to do homework, you wouldn't sit still on my desk for the life of it
Every single time you somehow managed to pee outside of your cage while you were in it (every week may I add)
You escaping your cage resulting in my tearing my house apart to find you
That last point… well… I failed you Eddy because I never found you even after three days of searching. Believe it or not, I refused to throw out your cage for weeks after I gave up searching for you. To this exact moment, I still have all of your exercise balls, bedding, food, and toys. My mother, Shiva, keeps yelling at me to get rid of your stuff, but don’t worry I refute and say no. 

One of my regrets is not buying you that super expensive LED light up ball... I know you would have loved it. Overall, you really did me a solid and got me through some tough times so I thank you for that. To conclude this letter, my last words for you are that I hope you didn’t get eaten by my cats, that you are somewhere safe and sound, and that I am really, really sorry. 

From,

Your now super lonely past owner…. Sophia

p.s. Thank god I didn’t name you Rocky

p.s.s. I want another hamster but Shiva won’t let me

This is a letter I wrote to my hamster to went missing in Summer of 21'