Name Essay | Teen Ink

Name Essay

By ehibl1 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
ehibl1 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Emma in English means ‘whole or universal.’ It is like an eagle, bold and eager, but is mysterious and has a certain beauty to it. It is like the number 4, simple and even. My name radiates the color pink. bright and outgoing. It is very plain, but there’s beauty in simplicity. 

I am named after the popular show ‘Friends.’ My Mom would always watch that show. That’s all she would do while she was pregnant with me. Ross and Rachel named their baby Emma in the show. My Mom heard that name and fell in love. Rachel was her favorite character.

But my Mom didn’t just name me because of the show. She liked the name Emma. She thought it was very girly, light. She liked the simplicity. Never too confusing to spell or pronounce. Never too long to need a nickname. Very short and sweet. 

‘Whole or universal.’ A perfect fit for someone who is your whole world. 

I like to think I’m my Dad’s whole world. I’ve always been his favorite. His youngest child and his little girl. To me he is my whole world too. My protector. My shield. My safety blanket. We have a bond that could never be broken.

I used to hate my name. I always thought it was very boring. I didn’t like how everyone else had my name. But throughout the years I’ve learned to like it. 

I like how simple it is, but yet still gives off such energy, like that bright colored pink. Bright and outgoing. Yes it is plain, but it rolls off of your tongue in a way that makes it sound so pretty. 

I couldn’t imagine myself with any other name. It just feels right. I am that pink, bright, outgoing, and bold person my name makes me think of. Everything is even, like the number 4. Nothing out of order, everything right. Very plain—but satisfying. Very girly—but laid back. 

Warm and sweet, like a cinnamon roll on a nice Sunday morning. Calm and not in your face, like reading a book on a beach somewhere in Hawaii. Bright, sweet, plain but outgoing, simple but mysterious.

All things that describe me. 

This piece if talking about the meaning about my name, and what I think it reminds me and others of when they hear the name Emma.