My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By JudeB SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JudeB SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Jude”

My family seems to be a type of family that likes to be different. But this isn’t always a bad thing. Most families should try to be different from everyone else. This is what my parents did when it came to naming me.

My parents always wanted a name that seemed to flow — which is what seems to happen with my name.It is warm water: it flows but also has a soothing and relaxing tone to it. The rarity of the name gives a great uniqueness. When I hear a name that is more common, I feel more emotionless about it. It seems harsh, but everybody's different personalities allow for me to create a bigger cliche for that name.

My parents always remind me how beautiful my name is, which I can’t disagree with. they like to be reminded of the song “Hey Jude” by The Beatles. The song has smooth chords and a soothing tone to it, like my name. The song can feel like warm, soothing water, being poured on aching muscles when singing it  causing a relaxing feeling. The love in the song can be strongly connected to my name. When someone hears “Jude”, they think of a kind and loving person.

The name “Jude” isn’t only great or beautiful because of the way it flows, but because of how little people have a name that can flow with such a majestic tone.  I’ve never met anyone in the world with my name, leaving me to feel like I have a certain advantage over people, like I’m standing on a mountain of names. This rarity allows for people to attach certain feelings and emotions to it, which can allow for people to be reminded of me or simply feel the beautiful mood that it seems to give off when hearing my name. It’s like the “mountain” I’m standing on has hot springs for people to sit in with my name labeled on it.

The simplicity allows for quick usages of my name, without being able to find errors when saying it. Many people with unique names take time and thought to pronounce their name, because of the great complexity in it. The one syllable of the name “Jude” and the mix of letters allows for people to create connections between emotions and my name easier. This hot tub of a name allows for people to bathe in the simplicity of warm water to further feel calmed and relaxed.

Feelings I get from hearing my name