My name fits me | Teen Ink

My name fits me

By creativity2022 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
creativity2022 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

Alexis is a common name but it's not unique. My name comes from Greek which means helper or defender. Its powerful symbolism is destiny and luck. Even successful, smart and thoughtful. 

When my parents were choosing my name they had 2 names picked out. Alexis and Ella which is my first and middle name. So my dad had asked me if I wanted to be called Alexis or Ella. So every time he said Alexis, I apparently would smile. So that's why my parents named me Alexis. They also liked the name Ella so they put that as my middle name.

The name Ella means fairy and goddess. Which makes me think of a fairy tale or a movie such as Tinkerbell. I also think of bright colors when I think of the name Ella. The name Ella just seems like a bright name. When I think of the name Alexis I think it's a dark color.

I like my name and it fits me and my personality. I am brave, smart, successful, thoughtful, and a helper. I feel like I am a defender in some ways. A defender is like someone who is kind and sensitive to other people. Also, often think about others more than themselves. It just depends on me. I do think about others more than myself but that is only if I know if the other person had a bad day or is having a rough time. I'm really not sensitive to other people but I am kind to other people.

The strengths of being a defender are supportive, reliable, patient, imaginative, enthusiastic, loyal, and hardworking. I am supportive of everyone. I am reliable because I get my work done. I can be patient at times but most of the time I do get frustrated I still get work done even if I get frustrated. I don't imagine situations from other people’s perspectives. I am enthusiastic because I pull all my efforts just to get my work done. I am loyal and hardworking.

I grew up being shy and not that thoughtful but over time I overcame my shyness and started to be more thoughtful. Shyness connects to being a defender. Being a defender and shy both are supportive, reliable, patient, imaginative, loyal, and hardworking. 

Over the years my name does not fit me personally, but I had changed throughout the years. I was shy but I kinda was a defender over the years I had changed and I became more patient, imaginative, and enthusiastic. Throughout the years I wanted a different name but now I realized that my name fits me more now than 6-7 years ago. I am bolder now like my name than years ago.