The Best Hike | Teen Ink

The Best Hike

October 24, 2022
By Anonymous

We hiked up the steep stone steps. Next to me towering pine trees with their needles scattered on the ground. The trees are filled with squirrels, birds, and chipmunks. The greenery of the forest amazes me. I’m amazed because of how beautiful the natural scenery can be when undisturbed by humans. 

We start to reach the top of the bluff and when I look out I see the beautiful blue lake and it glistens in the sunlight. I sat on the rough rock just to take in the beautiful scenery.  The breeze is blowing in my hair as I look out at the lake and I see the birds flying by below me. I stop and think to myself, am I higher up than the birds right now? 

This all felt surreal to me. This was by far the most diverse state park I have been to with rock formations, a diversity of trees, and beautiful water. As we continued or strolled at the top of the bluff we were headed deeper into the woods. I kept my eye out for any wildlife or something that would catch my attention. There was this crazy rock that looked like it had been put there by someone and was just balancing on the edge of the cliff. While I was skeptical of how it got there I chose to believe it was nature. 

The hike was coming to a close and all I could think about was how amazing of a park this was and how great the opportunity was for me to come here. I was dreading the walk back down just because of the steep stone stairs and how steep there were. But after the walk down I just appreciated the beautiful sights nature had to offer today.