A Hidden City | Teen Ink

A Hidden City

By Mateo-Haeuser BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Mateo-Haeuser BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I lean off the side of the boat and fall into another world under the waves. A trust fall backward into a large splash and suddenly goes quiet. Below is only blue that fades into an intimidating black that gives depth to the ocean. I look to my dad who gives me the “ok” symbol to descend into the depths. I only hear my breath but the sound fades away. POP! My ears adjust to the pressure of the water like a firework explosion. As we near the reef floor, I start to see the colors of corals carpeting the reef. Among them are fish of all colors living in a city of beauty, going about their day, and getting to their next destination. 

Suddenly, the bustling city goes into hiding. I question why all the little fish went into the cracks and holes of the rock. But then it all made sense almost instantly, out of the blue came two sharks, patrolling the ocean looking for trouble.  They pass my Dad and me with curiosity. The largest of the two swam straight in my direction and right before I thought it would hit me, it turned left and swam right passed. I reach out my hand to feel the shark's skin. The feeling of dull sandpaper rubs on my fingertips. The shark swims with a river of sand that cuts the city in two. I watch the shark swim off into the blue and disappear as fast as it appeared. The city comes back to life and we continue our adventure. 

As I sway back and forth with the current from the waves above, we meet the reef edge. I look out and see what many people can’t. The beauty of nothing, nothing at all. Only the turquoise water with a hint of sunlight. I look down where the reef wall descends into complete darkness below. The wall is covered in sea fans, dancing in perfect harmony with the current. Lobsters peek their heads out of holes in the wall and shily watch us from their homes. I check my air tank gauge and realize it is time to ascend back to my world. As I rise, I watch the hidden city that rarely gets seen by the average person get tucked away by the waves to be unfolded by another.

This is written by my father and I and we are expressing our wonder for nature. There is supposed to be a picture that goes along with this writing