The Heinous Act of Designer Babies | Teen Ink

The Heinous Act of Designer Babies

May 25, 2023
By lilygiddings BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
lilygiddings BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

He Jiankui,  a scientist from China was arrested for the use of genetic engineering. The judge defiantly alleges that Jinakui was guilty of illegal medical practices according to Normile. A Science Newsletter vigorously reports that Jiankui was crossing the bottom line of ethics in scientific research and medical ethics, proving the unethicality of designer babies. Jianku had forged ethical review documents and led doctors into unknowingly implanting gene-edited embryos into women. Having to go against the law for medical procedures proves how detrimental genetic engineering really can be. Although designer babies may seem appealing, doctors do not recommend this technology because it is proven to have a detrimental effect on the babies' life span. Despite the fact that designer babies may seem like a great advancement in technology and allow for the perfect babies, parents advocate that this may cause family tension and push children to fit into society's categories. Equity experts proclaim that this huge ‘advancement’ will only create a larger divide in economic classes. Genetic modification of babies is unnecessary and unnatural, and the most egregious aspect is the ethical abuse of a scientific procedure that can lead to higher death rates and gender imbalance. He Jiankui was ethically and morally wrong on several levels, and following my further explanation, I guarantee you will agree as well. 


Genetic modification perpetuates children to follow society's standards. It allows parents to choose their child's gender, fitting them into a certain category in society. This can cause tension in families because the child may not want to live the life their parents chose. In genetic testing, parents seek to choose their child's gender which refers to the looks, intelligence, and even behavior of the child, not the physical genitalia. Browne states that these decisions rely on the basic standards of how boys and girls should be and perpetuates the stereotypes of genders which brings us back in time.  

Expensive genetic engineering of babies provokes a disparity in economic classes, causing designer babies unattainable to the lower class shoving them deeper down the economic ladder. A database from Harvard University proclaims that nations should not try to improve situations that only the top 1% can experience through genetic enhancement when the majority of people have other issues that should be solved first. Being such a high advancement of technology genetic testing is very expensive and would only be available to those who can afford it. This will be unfair to others who are unable to develop and design the perfect baby while others can not only because they do not have enough money. Designer babies only allow for people who have mass amounts of money to design their child which only creates leeway for the rich to become more elite. Designer babies would only be available to those who have the money for them, putting the rich above the rest once again.

Designer babies are not as glamorous as people think, while it may be a great opportunity for some, it could decrease the baby's life span. This is very important to consider when looking to genetically engineer babies because many parents do not want to put their unborn baby or child's life at risk. Researchers from a UK genetic database emphasized that about a 21 percent greater risk of dying before the age of 76 than people who don't have the given traits a genetically modified baby has. How could genetic engineering be successful if it is causing people to obtain a substantially shorter lifespan than the average person? No one should be born unable to live a full life. According to Anderson, another study proclaims that countless babies are killed in the process of genetic modification. Parents should not want to put their baby's life on the line just to glamorize them.

 Genetically engineering babies is an act of heinous ethical abuse, which promotes gender inequality abusing the power of science. Parents would use designer babies as a way to glamorize society. Giving this power to humans would take the greed and selfishness of parents and put it onto their babies. Children should be natural. Equality experts would argue that this allows for minorities to be overruled and bring us back in time. This could lead back to when there was a huge racial and gender inequality gap. Designer babies would only allow for discrimination, handing power to the elite class. People idolizing designer babies is highly unethical as it is only used as a way to take away minorities. Designer babies should not be glamorized as it would take away the naturality of the world and bring us back into our dreadful past. 


The author's comments:

This piece was important to me because I have a family member who has Down syndrome. You hear often that people think that there will one day be a "cure" but the truth is they don't see how truly amazing they are. Their differences make them extraordinary, their brains work in such a different way, but that should be seen as fascinating not a reason to dislike them. If designer babies' were normalized in society people like my cousin wouldn't exist and that hurts to think about. Not to mention the further discrimination designer babies' would cause nationally. I felt strong and passionate about this topic and I want other people to see how important this is as well.