A Letter to Dick Gregory | Teen Ink

A Letter to Dick Gregory

By cwoissan SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
cwoissan SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

old godzilla was hopping around tokyo city like a big playground

Dear Mr. Dick Gregory,

I would like to thank you for your approach to civil rights protesting. Many find protests to be very serious, and will keep that tone no matter what, however you have managed to incorporate your comedy into this unfair situation. By taking risks, you were able to protest anti-segregation, but also promote Native American rights, veganism, and feminism. By taking a lighter approach to such situations, you made such negativity appear at least a little bit better. 

With so much negativity in the world, we need to start taking things a little lighter. Sure, flowers are sprouting in Antarctica and wars are running rampant, but people like you help make the disasters more bearable. There may be problems caused by the government or people who have more power, but mocking the situation and having a good laugh makes things feel better. 

You have done so much for so many different minorities, which very few accomplish. You showed up on Freedom Day, protested drug use, aided in the search for missing people, showed up at the Million Woman March, and so much more. You even opened a health enterprise to help improve African-American lives. Even as you aged, you still helped other minorities. 

Sure, you were faced with many injustices in your life, but you took those issues and made the best of them. You fought in the army, and that started a passion in comedy, acting, and writing. You used your experiences to jumpstart your career. You even helped others even though you needed help. Despite your lymphoma diagnosis, you persevered and still protested. Your health was deteriorating and you still helped. Mr. Gregory, you lived and died as an amazing man. 

Imagine being born into a situation where people like you were discriminated against and you still managed to triumph. That is what you did. You persevered in the face of adversity, gained political standing, and became successful. This is what others dream of, and most people who aren’t even born into that horrible position don’t accomplish that. You used this position to help those less fortunate and others who are discriminated against, just like you were during your life. The list of things you have helped is far more vast than most. How one can manage to continuously help others throughout their life is beyond me. You are an impressive man with an impressive life story. 

You have accomplished so much in your life that many could not even dream of. These efforts have paid off, as many of these issues have been improved in one way or another. Many would not go on a hunger strike to protest imprisonment or protest despite having a chronic illness. At least an average person would not. The point is, you are not just an average person. You have helped so many people across the world and have improved the lives of millions in so many ways. Thank you for creating a culture of community.

Thank you, Mr. Gregory.

This piece was written for a competition, but I figured I'd submit it here as well.