The Narrative Structure of The Joy Luck Club | Teen Ink

The Narrative Structure of The Joy Luck Club

By ASoldierOfHalla SILVER, Collierville, Tennessee
ASoldierOfHalla SILVER, Collierville, Tennessee

“One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.” - Malala Yousafzai

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan is an examination of the cultural and generational differences between early 20th century China and late 20th century America, presented through the lens of Chinese immigrant mothers and their American-born daughters. Rather than adhering to a single narrator, the novel follows four mothers and four daughters who each share stories from their lives and act as the narrators in their own chapters. This unique style allows for seemingly unrelated anecdotes that come together to present a powerful commentary on the immigrant experience. The alternating narrative structure provides deep insight into each of the characters as well as context and justification for certain events and actions. Tan utilized this arrangement not only to provide the reader with a better understanding of the characters and events, but also to create a compelling story that can better convey her message.  The Joy Luck Club’s unique structure of multiple narrators enhances the novel’s plot and themes while increasing reader empathy and understanding of the characters.

The alternating points of view in The Joy Luck Club provide the reader with multiple perspectives of a character and their actions, allowing the reader to find a greater understanding of the characters. One instance of this can be found in the chapters “The Voice from the Wall” and “Waiting Between the Trees”, where the reader is introduced to a character and then later is given more details of the character’s past, explaining their current traits and behavior. “The Voice from the Wall” is narrated by Lena, who describes her mother Ying-ying as being worried and anxious about unknown dangers her entire life. Lena does not understand why her mother has always seemed to predict negative events, but just chalks it up to Ying-ying’s superstitious nonsense. Near the end of the novel, the reader is given details that explain Ying-ying’s negativity in the chapter she narrates titled “Waiting Between the Trees.” Ying-ying first describes her “tiger spirit,” a fierceness and cunning quality about her, which she had hoped to pass on to her daughter. However, Ying-ying lost her “tiger spirit” after suffering mistreatment in her first marriage to a man which she would only refer to as “the bad man.” After this marriage, she became quiet and unseen, always preparing for the worst that can happen to her. The backstory given in this chapter not only explains Ying-ying’s shift from her brazen childhood self to her now withdrawn personality, but it also gives context to details from Lena’s childhood. In “A Voice from the Wall,” Lena remarked that her mother would warn her of  “the bad man who lived in the basement” who would have “planted five babies in [Lena] and then eaten [her] in a six-course meal” if she was not careful and guarded (Tan 106). While this originally seemed like another anxiety-induced tall tale from Ying-ying, the reader now understands that it, and her submissive qualities, stem from her past life experiences. “The bad man”, while an imaginary threat to Ying-ying, is a manifestation of her real pain and trauma. Tan planted the clues of Ying-ying’s past in earlier chapters, showing that Ying-ying’s past was not isolated events, but instead abuse that continues to affect her and her daughter years down the line. In another of Lena’s chapters, “Rice Husband,” Ying-ying visits Lena and her husband in their home. Lena comes into her mother’s room to find a vase had fallen from an unsteady nightstand and shattered. Lena admits that she had known the nightstand was not stable and that the vase was going to fall, and her mother questions why she did nothing to prevent it. Later, in “Waiting Between the Trees,” the reader is presented with the scenario from Ying-ying’s perspective. Ying-ying realizes that her daughter has also forfeited her “tiger spirit” in her own marriage, avoiding any form of conflict with her husband for fear of negative outcomes. Seeing the way Lena ignores the issues in her relationship, Ying-ying realizes that by allowing herself to lose her “tiger spirit”, she has raised Lena to forfeit her abilities for self-assertion as well. Ying-ying decides to gather the pain of her past described in the chapter and use it “to penetrate [her] daughter’s tough skin and cut her tiger spirit loose” (Tan 286). She then decides that she will knock over the nightstand, showing her daughter that she cannot sit by and watch as something she knows is unsteady prepares to fall. The chapter ends on a hopeful note, with Ying-ying believing that by showing Lena the foundational cracks in her marriage, she will convince her to take preventative action. This perspective from Ying-ying adds detail to Lena’s story in an earlier chapter. Not only does the reader understand why Ying-ying knocks over the vase, but they also see why the loss of Ying-ying’s “tiger spirit” affected Lena and her marriage. These details illustrate how Lena’s situation arose and why Ying-ying wants to change things for Lena. Ying-ying sees herself in her daughter, and she realizes that Lena is making the same mistakes she did. The narrative structure allows for the reader to see the parallels between Ying-ying and Lena’s lives and how the past affects future generations. All in all, Tan’s use of alternating perspectives in The Joy Luck Club provides depth to her characters by providing details and further context into each character’s life. Due to an increased understanding of the cast of characters as a whole, the reader finds themself more attached to and understanding of the characters and their struggles. An ensemble of fully fleshed-out characters, each with their own relevant struggles and complex relationships, more powerfully presents The Joy Luck Club’s themes than if it were narrated by a single character. 

Amy Tan’s distinctive narration style creates a more compelling and sophisticated story that strengthens its ability to convey its themes. At first, the chapters seem a collection of unrelated anecdotes from each character. Yet, as the reader progresses, they realize that the stories are not isolated: as a collective they come together to present larger themes. For instance, the section of the novel titled “Twenty-Six Malignant Gates” opens with a parable about a daughter seeking independence from her ‘overbearing’ mother, whose intentions are only to keep her daughter safe. This theme echoes throughout the individual chapters of this section. Waverly narrates a chapter in this section titled “Rules of the Game,” in which she becomes a young chess prodigy. Her mother, Lindo, accredits Waverly’s successes to her own parenting and parades her around as some kind of prize. Waverly, wanting to be seen as a separate individual from her mother and responsible for her own accomplishments, lashes out at Lindo, yelling “‘Why do you have to use me to show off? If you want to show off, then why don’t you learn to play chess!’” (Tan 101). Waverly desires to be independent from her mother, who she views as oppressive. However, Lindo only flaunts Waverly around because she is extremely proud of her daughter and feels that she has done well as a mother. Lindo’s upbringing caused her to believe that her daughter owes her the respect of sharing her achievements. Lindo and Waverly do not see each other’s reasoning and continually clash over this issue. While this specific story only pertains to Waverly and Lindo, the struggle of independence versus parental demands is seen in the other girls’ lives too, such as in the chapter “Two Kinds” narrated by Jing-mei. In this chapter, Jing-mei’s mother, Suyuan, wants her daughter to become a prodigy. She makes Jing-mei complete tests and trials in an attempt to discover a hidden talent. As Jing-mei continually fails to meet her mother’s expectations, she grows to hate the tests that destroy her self-esteem. So, Jing-mei resolves to never let her mother change her, promising to herself,  “I won’t be what I’m not” (Tan 144).  On nights when her mother would present her with tests, Jing-mei “performed listlessly” until Suyuan gave up on her aspirations (Tan 144). Suyuan is so adamant on Jing-mei becoming a prodigy because she made immense sacrifices to give her daughter an American life and opportunities. She wants to see Jing-mei apply herself because she has faith that she can do great things. Yet Jing-mei, like Waverly, desires independence from her mother who she views as overbearing and unfair. The mothers intend well but come off as strict to their daughters, causing them to desire to be as separate and independent from their mothers as they can, even to a detrimental degree. Jing-mei views self improvement as “giving in” to her mother’s unfair expectations, and Waverly sees sharing her successes with her mother as some kind of forfeit of her talent. These stories both illustrate loving mothers unable to properly communicate their feelings to daughters who desire independence. The fact that both of these stories present a similar theme proves the effectiveness of Tan’s narrative structure. All of the characters in The Joy Luck Club face similar conflicts and learn similar lessons in the vast multitude of their life experiences. Their collective stories, while all different, share themes that display the universal experiences of immigrant parents and first-generation children. This strengthens Tan’s message, proving that the conflicts and experiences she describes can be seen in a multitude of ways. In contrast, a singular narrator detailing their singular experiences would not have such a great impact on the reader, nor convey the true gravity and prevalence of these experiences. In summary, Tan’s distinctive narration style creates a more compelling and sophisticated story that strengthens the story’s ability to convey its themes.

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan is a compelling examination of the immigrant experience and generational conflicts told through the eyes of immigrant mothers and their American-born daughters. Tan employs a unique narrative structure, switching between the perspectives of each mother and daughter as they tell selected stories from their lives. This structure provides the reader with more details and context for the characters, and the reader’s increased understanding of said characters causes them to empathize with them. Along with affecting the reader’s perception of characters, the use of alternating perspectives displays a multitude of experiences that all share a similar theme, displaying universal struggles of immigrant life. Tan uses this structure to strengthen her themes and present a more sophisticated and compelling story.  

Analysis of The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan for school. 80% rambling, but posting anyway for documenting purposes.