Why are Young People so Focused with their Appearance in Modern Society? | Teen Ink

Why are Young People so Focused with their Appearance in Modern Society?

April 30, 2024
By woahdinooo BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
woahdinooo BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

    Appearance has always been an objectively important factor in society, having the capacity to aid with job opportunities, relationships, convenience, and overall happiness. People have always strived to improve and refine their appearance in both minute and significant ways. However, there has recently been an overwhelming surge of young individuals who seem to prioritize, and obsess, even, over how they look. This apparent shift in the priorities of young people harbors its intricacies, with many factors contributing to this. The intrinsic societal value of appearance, especially pertaining to teenagers, combined with the effectiveness of social media, advertisements, and the other advancements of the Internet serve as the primary proponent behind the exceeding importance of appearance to young individuals in modern society.

    Why is appearance so important within society in the first place? Simply the way someone looks can greatly affect how they are treated, how they act, and how their daily life progresses. Having a good appearance and professionally presenting oneself can increase the opportunity for job interviews, job offers, and possible promotions (Gruys, 2019). Additionally, having a visually appealing appearance aids in creating a positive impression (Rasband). This shows the power that appearance holds in creating more favorable opportunities and experiences. Personal appearance also can help individuals maintain a more positive self-image and increase confidence. The concept of “pretty privilege” also showcases the capacity that appearance holds to create convenience and opportunity in life. If someone is visually appealing, another might hold the door open for them, or a worker might be more accommodating or give them extra food at a restaurant. The way someone looks can also change how others perceive their characteristics. For example, the characteristic of ambition in an unattractive person could be seen as stubborn and rude, while a visually appealing individual with this same characteristic could be perceived as honest or driven (Tait, 2017). Appearance has the power to create new opportunities and alter the way others treat you.

    Social media has only been increasing in popularity and scale since its creation in the early 2000s, and it is one of the main reasons that the beauty standard has increased and been made even more influential. Thousands of influencers have the ability to post on multiple different social media apps, showcasing a perceived “perfect body” to a wide audience. Many young, impressionable individuals end up comparing themselves to these often older influencers and their supposed superior, and, in some cases, edited, physiques (The Learning Network, 2022). The beauty standard is raised as more and more influencers post ideal, cherry-picked shots of their bodies for large audiences to view. Because most of what is posted on social media is only what influencers want you to see, this accessible content becomes more widely spread and what the beauty standard moves more towards.

    Another aspect of the Internet that affects teenagers’ perceived importance of appearance is advertising. Their effect on the perception of the importance of appearance is similar to social media; Advertisements often include cherry-picked content to present to consumers, promoting an unrealistic beauty standard (Thompson). A significant aspect of appearance includes cosmetic products. Advertisements often create the impression that the use of their product results in a better appearance. This technique isn’t only limited to products such as skincare, however. By utilizing models, filters, and editing, advertisers can create the impression that the use of a certain piece of clothing is what contributes to a better appearance. As these advertisements cause more people to buy a certain product to create the impression of a better appearance, more individuals are pressured into fitting in. Advertisements cause people to believe that they need certain products to achieve an adequate appearance, another way in which the importance of appearance is emphasized and advanced.

    The apparent efficacy of social media and advertisements in pushing the importance of appearance begs the question as to why the effect on the values of teenagers is so profound, as opposed to perhaps older age demographics. One aspect is the fact that, upon becoming teenagers, individuals often experience their first exposure to social media, and are, as a consequence, more prone to having higher usage of social media and encountering advertisements. Adolescents are also scientifically more impressionable than other age groups. The brains of teenagers harbor an increased amount of synaptic connections, which heighten perception and make them more impressionable as a result (Forster, 2015). Teenagers are also more scientifically inclined to fit in. In the brain of a teenager, the prefrontal cortex is developing and plays a substantial role, and it is the prefrontal cortex that processes mimicry, which causes the need to fit in (Scott, 2017). The brain structure of teenagers causes them to be more impressionable and to want to fit in more, making them more susceptible to the unrealistic standards that are so commonly promoted through social media and advertisements.

    In conclusion, young individuals are so focused on their appearance because of the power appearance holds in society and the effectiveness of social media and advertisements on adolescent brains. It is important for young, impressionable individuals to realize the extent to which the mass amount of social media, advertisements, and other online content that they consume pushes an unrealistic standard, capable of causing comparison that can be harmful to mental wellbeing.

 

 


Works Cited

Gruys, Kjerstin. “How Does Appearance Affect Our Success?” University of Nevada, Reno, University of Nevada, Reno, 1 May 2019, www.unr.edu/nevada-today/news/2019/atp-appearance-success.

Rasband, Judith. “Power of Personal Appearance.” Conselle, Conselle, brightspotcdn.byui.edu/c8/21/af9bacae41b581d5a9f55ac8529d/powerofpersonalappearance.pdf. Accessed 30 Apr. 2024.

Tait, Amelia. Before and After Photos of People Who Went from Ugly to Hot, Vice, 7 Dec. 2017, www.vice.com/en/article/kzg8na/ugly-ducklings-on-how-people-treated-them-when-they-got-hot. 

Network, The Learning. “What Students Are Saying About How Social Media Affects Their Body Image.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 31 Mar. 2022, www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/learning/what-students-are-saying-about-how-social-media-affects-their-body-image.html.

Thompson, Van. “Influence of Advertisement on Women & the Attitude Toward Cosmetics.” Chron.Com, Chron.com, 21 Nov. 2017, smallbusiness.chron.com/influence-advertisement-women-attitude-toward-cosmetics-69974.html. 

Forster, Katie. “Secrets of the Teenage Brain.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 25 Jan. 2015, www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/25/secrets-of-the-teenage-brain. 

Scott, Elfy. “The Scientific Reason You Were So Desperate to Fit In as a Teen.” VICE, Vice, 28 Apr. 2017, www.vice.com/en/article/evgxep/the-scientific-reason-you-were-so-desperate-to-fit-in-as-a-teen.


The author's comments:

Dino Villanueva