Wanted | Teen Ink

Wanted

By Lily_Rad BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin
Lily_Rad BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin

It was the first time I killed. I had just become a knight for the Royal family, then, unexpectedly, the King and Queen were assassinated. I heard the screams of the King and Queen on the upper level above me. I donned my armor and my sword. Sprinting up the staircase, skipping steps as I elevated, finally reaching the Royal family’s chamber. BANG! Kicking the door open with haste, What I saw was unimaginable. The King, on the floor, and the Queen in front of her desk mirror, face down on the stained wood. My eyes darted vigorously around the room to try and uncover the suspect but what I saw was a rope hanging out of the window. Marching over to the window angrily, I saw the criminal fleeting through fair lads and ladies. To them, a thief running from the market owner, but little does the people know, that person committed the worst crime in history. The criminal deserved punishment, and I was in charge of putting the punishment into fruition. Considering I saw the aftermath and was the first to the event. Filled with fire and rage, I slide down the rope, going down the side of the castle, with no hesitation. Evidently, word got around fast, as I saw other knights and soldiers on the lookout.

“We must find the person responsible!” A knight hollered to another. “He must be brought to justice!”

Another knight had an impatient tone “Check every alley, leave no stone unturned. If we don’t find them, there will be no rest at night for the Kingdom!”  It was an extremely long and tiresome pursuit. SHWING! CRASH! SLASH! Knocking down, and cutting through anything that stood in our way of any alleyway the culprit had potential to hide in. Eventually, the assassin was found. I found him trying to climb a brick wall with nothing but a grappling hook in one hand, and a satchel in the other. I grasped my sword handle and rapidly pulled it out of its holster. Cut the grapple cord with a sharp SLING! The satchel, and the assassin fell to the stone ground. The satchel, containing both the King and Queen’s crowns, jewelry, and anything else expensive spilled out onto the stone.

“What are you doing with all this?!” I wasn’t planning on wasting time so I went straight to the questioning, not even bothering to hold him for interrogation.

“I won’t tell you anything!” His voice rasped. This is typical for evildoers, not saying anything to the heroes of any story.

“You do realize that the assassination of the Royal family is a serious and punishable crime that won’t go unnoticed?!” My sword aimed towards his face “You will be brought to justice in front of the council and in front of the people of this Kingdom.”

Just then he reached for my sword, but in any self defense, I had to act fast. I thrusted my sword forward…and he fell.

After dragging the assassin back to the castle gates, and back to the other knights and soldiers, the jewelry and everything else in his satchel was returned. His public execution still needs to be put in action.

“You didn’t kill him with your sword back there.” The knight standing next to me was still looking forward when I looked at him. “Why?”

“It’s not like I had a choice.” I started.

“But you did. So why didn’t you finish him when you had the chance?”

“I couldn’t be selfish and claim his life” I looked forward, glaring at the assassin with wrath. “ when the people deserved that honor. He did assassinate this Kingdom’s Royal family. I didn’t want to take away the people’s satisfaction of extinguishing evil.”

People cheered, roared, and booed at the sight of the criminal. They wanted revenge for what he did. And who am I to stop them? After the death of the assassin, plans were already being made to appoint a new King and Queen of the Kingdom.